Agnostic.com
3 3

I needed to preserve my bell peppers so I made Indian chutney last night...

I had to use 2 pots for my chutney! Chopped bell peppers, onions, granny Smith apples, and raisins... ...with cayenne pepper, ginger, tamarind, cardamom, allspice, cinnamon, lemon, salt, vinegar, and stevia.

Kinda sweet - and spicy-hot but not killer-hot and very good I think!

FrostyJim 8 Oct 8
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sounds amazing. How do you use it? I looked it up and it said it’s an Indian condiment with various uses. I’ve been to many Indian restaurants and never noticed it.

I basically have everything listed in my cabinet except Granny Smith apples and tamarind, another thing I’ve never tasted.

Tamarind paste - I get it on Amazon. Chutneys go very well with roast lamb or lamb curry - or any curry dish. It is a side dish like yogurt or relish.

here is the basic recipe:

I started with a recipe for 2 cups of chopped green tomatoes but I used bell peppers because that's what I had... and I had a lot - 30 cups of chopped bell peppers - so I had to scale up my recipe just a little - Ha! ...and the amounts were not exact - but it turned out great!

2 C chopped bell peppers
1 C chopped Granny Smith apples
1/2 C Stevia sweetener - to your taste
1/2 C golden raisins
1/2 C chopped onion
1/4 C cider vinegar
2 tsp grated lemon zest
2 T lemon juice
1 T grated ginger root
1 tsp Tamarind paste
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp Cayenne pepper flakes
1/2 tsp ground Cardamom
1/2 tsp ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground Allspice
2 garlic cloves minced

It needs to slow cook down to reduce and thicken - like making apple butter. This can take 1-2 hrs. Watch closely and stir often so it doesn't burn. Fill sterile jars and water-bath process 30 mins for pint jars.

@FrostyJim Saved it!

I am of German heritage, and my German genes don't like anything remotely spicy. It is the bane of my existence.

I’m German too but the English and French mixed in must cancel it out or something because I’m not happy unless I’m eating food with lots of spices.

Kung Pao Chicken, Shrimp Fra Diavolo, and Chicken-tikka masala are favorites.

Bell peppers are not spicy, but they ARE bitter.

@KateOahu - that's why I added a good bit of cayenne pepper...

Does it make green peppers taste good? I ❤️ any stage of ripe bell peppers (yellow, orange, red), but hate immature (green) ones.

KateOahu Level 8 Oct 8, 2024

I think it tastes great!

Recent Visitors 9

Photos 5,414 More

Posted by Diaco Black Sapote - The chocolate pudding tropical fruit! (2 videos) [youtube.com] [youtube.com]

Posted by Diaco Black Sapote - The chocolate pudding tropical fruit! (2 videos) [youtube.com] [youtube.com]

Posted by FrostyJimMaking my last batch of 2024 oven roasted tomato sauce on Oct. 10 ready to start filling jars.

Posted by FrostyJimMaking my last batch of 2024 oven roasted tomato sauce on Oct. 10 ready to start filling jars.

Posted by FrostyJimI needed to preserve my bell peppers so I made Indian chutney last night.

Posted by FrostyJimI needed to preserve my bell peppers so I made Indian chutney last night.

Posted by FrostyJimMoose family munchin' on my Raspberries right now at about 8:30 on Tuesday night!

Posted by FrostyJim3 giants total over 3 lbs! Bush Early Girl hybrid grown in my Wasilla Alaska zone 4b greenhouse...

Posted by FrostyJim.

Posted by FrostyJim.

Posted by FrostyJim.

Posted by FrostyJim...it may be frosty outside at night but my indoor tomatoes are doing fine!

Posted by FrostyJim...it may be frosty outside at night but my indoor tomatoes are doing fine!

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #book #cats #kids #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #wife #mother #children #Australia #death #Bible #Christian #florida #animals #Texas #hello #species #Organic #relationship #parents #climate #agnostic #coffee #evidence #advice #sex #humans #belief #apple #atheism #DonaldTrump #truth ...

Members 1,540Top