Agnostic.com
5 14

The shortest day of 2020 is now behind us and each day brings us closer to planting season in 2021, still a long ways off but there are a few plants that I moved inside before the frost got to them and I will move them back outside once the risk of frost has past.
The peace lillies are recovering from a touch of frost that got them before I could find planters big enough to move them into the sunroom but the yuccas are thriving.
The pussy willows were picked up on a trip to Montreal in February, pre-Covid and so long as they get a little light and some water they just keep on growing but I may have to move them to a larger container as they are pretty root bound.
The outdoor garden has been put to sleep for the winter, old straw is spread over the 50 seed potatoes and the 300 garlic cloves that I planted in the fall, where they will slumber until the soil warms up enough in the spring.
The hoop house now has a cover and I will use it to harden off seedlings and get an early start in April. The pond is closed up and will naturally turn into a skating rink in a few more weeks as each freeze and thaw cycle adds a thicker layer of ice.
The roof top garden is empty now, just the runners lying in wait for the new planters to be brought out in late May. Last year it was tomatoes but it was too hot but this year it will be cannabis plants for my CBD pain cream, my pain doctor gave me a prescription so I can now grow more than the 4 plants allowed under the new Canadian laws.
Until then I will watch and admire all of the beautiful gardens from our members in warmer climates than mine in Canada.

Surfpirate 9 Dec 23
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would love to plant garlic. So healthy and delicious. But I have not had a chance of dedicating time to learn.
Here in Austin TX climate, I have been working on learning the weather and keeping my citruses trees alive and with their fruits.
It is windier than I expected. It has burnt-out my cordylines ... 😒

Zoohome Level 8 Dec 30, 2020

Garlic is super easy to grow, just get good quality, organic garlic from your local farmer's market, split the bulbs up into seperate cloves and and stick them in good soil with the flat end down. You can plant garlic in the spring or the fall, you will get curly scapes in 3 months that are a tasty treat and then when the leaves turn yellow it is time to harvest fresh, organic garlic. This is a very low maintenance plant, weed and water, harvest and replant some of your bulbs for the next season.

@Surfpirate In Texas it is a winter crop, the heat here is too much if it is planted past Feb. For best results mid to late Oct.

@glennlab can I still plant it?

@Zoohome Up until mid Feb. It should have a long enough season to mature and not bolt.

You use a lot of garlic or sell it?

FrayedBear Level 9 Dec 24, 2020

We go though about 100 garlic bulbs per year, I give away about 100 bulbs to friends and family, I break up about 100 bulbs and replant them for next year. It works for the most part, I don't care for that Chinese garlic they grow in who knows what, no flavour and possibly contaminated with heavy metals.

@Surfpirate I always manage to mis watering & so they die. One day, one day I'll find a roundtuit & install that auto sprinker system. Til then I'll buy the iodine defcient, ironrich Australian garlic grown in WASP or Australian Chinese poo.

I’m sure the plants are happy being indoors.😉

Impressive gardening . I've read the Indians used the Yucca root as a vegetable , but have no idea what it tastes like . I believe they also used , "threads ," from the leaves to make a kind of rope .

Cast1es Level 9 Dec 23, 2020

The threads are still used in latin america to make rope but I think you are referring to yuca aka cassava for the edible plant or maybe the agave which looks very similar and is most famous for the blue variety that is used to make tequila. Cassava pie was my favourite dish at this time of year when I lived in Bermuda, delicious.

I had yucca in a Peruvian restaurant....indeed hard to avoid! vVery, very starchy consistency, not much flavor, even though in a flavorful broth

@AnneWimsey Yes, very common in Ecuador and Peru which I find surprising when you consider how many different and delicious potatoes they have to choose from.

I believe there are several edible yuccas out there. The native Americans also ate a yucca and used other parts for housing, etc. I think it is closer to this one on the pic, but still not the same.
The common yucca others are talking is a whole different plant. Extremely popular in south america.

When I went to Mesa Verde national park, they pointed out the edible yucca, I'll see if I can find a pic.

very cool! someday the u.s. might catch up.

Donna_I Level 8 Dec 23, 2020
Write Comment

Recent Visitors 27

Photos 5,325 More

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

Posted by KilltheskyfairyI love all the information on the internet that makes me a better gardener…

Posted by Jaylo64Primative hydroponic system /an old shoe rack and coffee cans ! Cans above drip into the cans below !

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,507Top