Agnostic.com
5 6

Joined so I could share a wonderful book I used in my classrooms. “What God Has Joined Together: A Christian Case for Gay Marriage” by David A. Meyers& Letha Dawson Scanzoni, professors at Hope College, a private Christian liberal arts college in Holland Michigan. Loads of bible verses to back up their argument. A must-havefor anyone arguing with a bible-believing Christian—their bible’s indisputable words right back at ‘em.

EllenDale 7 Apr 22
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It amazes me that almost 50% of self-identified lgbtq Americans still also identify as Christian. If there were any logic to it, no one would subscribe to an elective teaching that condemns them. The fact that so many (even out and proud) still cling to a religious system responsible for immeasurable lgbtq suffering and killing is perhaps a sign that religion really is what people make of it.

By way of illustration, ...As to the Bible being "entirely" anti-queer, there are only 5 or 6 scripture references claimed to condemn same sex relations (quite a lot more focused on enforcing rigid gender role boundaries). But as far as anti-gay messages, the Bible all but ignores the topic, and the motivation behind those few verses cited so often remains debated in circles.

For anyone who cares, there is a book I found fascinating that skillfully argues that it is far more in line with Jesus' teaching to respect, affirm, and love your gay family and neighbors than it is to judge, demean and persecute us. The book is meant for a Christian audience and is called "Unfair: Christians and the LGBT Question, " by John Shore. I read it and loved it like I love the current herretic pope. That is to say, I don't drink their Koolaid, but I like how it messes with fundamentalism. Half the book is testimonials of queer people's awful experiences at the hypocritical hands of Christians who claim to be loving. It is pretty moving.

People should re-read all the Biblical references to the David and Jonathon relationship before concluding there is "no Biblical support" for gay marriage. That most certainly was a love story. King Saul, Jonathon's father, even held a domestic union ceremony for the two and welcomed David to the family. David appeared very much to be James Dean to Jonathon's Sal Mineo. Whether historically accurate is another question entirely. But it is also a great example of the Bible also contradicting itself, when you compare that story and the Naomi and Ruth story to Leviticus and Book of Romans condemnations that call for killing mem who sleep together.

Yes, the Bible is bullshit, but when talking to Christians, we are more effective when we challenge their rigid scriptural fundamentalist literalism than when we straight out trash the entire paradigm (even though it deserves to be trashed).

Agreed.

I tell em they are full of shit and let them sort out their now insulted feelings & I goeth on my marryeth way.

I would be very surprised to see believable Biblical support for gay marriage. I've read just everything I could and found no way for it to be compatible with scripture. I'm following the thoughts of a Christian pastor right now who is angling for a way forward through the dilemma. I'm inclined to say 'you can't put new wine in old wineskins'. Can you say anything about the arguments they give?

brentan Level 8 Apr 22, 2020

It’s all written by humans about a mythical leader. Contradictions in their sacred literature and hypocrisy in followers’ lives ran me off. The only thing I can say about their argument is that it is all based on imagination and fear.

That's wonderful

I don't usually argue with Christians 😊

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 20

Photos 269 More

Posted by snytiger6Coming out ...

Posted by snytiger6Larissa awakens Christmas morning to find ...

Posted by CliffordCook([iowafaithleadercoalition.

Posted by snytiger6Victoria's Secret model, huh ...

Posted by snytiger6I come in peace ...

Posted by snytiger6You need to find peace with your uniqueness...

Posted by snytiger6The only choice made was to be myself...

Posted by snytiger6The day you graduate from...

Posted by snytiger6Trust me. There is no other man...

Posted by snytiger6The bible belt...

Posted by snytiger6Condiment come out...

Posted by snytiger6I think the pastor is coming out...

Posted by CeaselessmindIt works best when you can take a bigoted letter and throw it right back in their faces! I fuckin love whoever did this!

Posted by snytiger6My artistic idol...

Posted by snytiger6You, religions and the holy book

Posted by inigomontoyaI identify as bigender. Most LGBTQ+ people don’t even know what that is. 😂

• Top tags#gay #video #community #transgender #friends #gender #sex #god #hope #DonaldTrump #religion #LGBT #rights #world #religious #relationship #queer #nation #Christian #marriage #children #kids #money #laws #Atheist #church #parents #hello #reason #book #wife #ComingOut #Identity #dogs #Catholic #Jesus #Bible #films #Song #movies #Police #republicans #atheism #vote #death #society #culture #homosexuality #Christians #mother ...

Members 979Top