Agnostic.com
2 0

One of the questions I often hear from the gun control side of the argument is "why does it appear that police have an easier time with busting drug dealers than they do with black market arms dealers?" If you think about it a bit more, that's not hard to answer/explain.

When police do a drug bust (a bust in which they use an informant), their informant will usually be safe from identification by the drug dealer because packets of drugs or pills etc look pretty much all the same, and being that in a day's time the average drug dealer could literally have dozens of customers would make it all the more difficult for the dealer to identify who had ratted them out. With black market firearms dealers on the other hand, which in most cases there wouldn't be as many customers day to day, it would be much easier for the gun dealer to remember what type of gun he sold at what time and to who, because unlike drugs the guns do look different.

So that's why black market gun busts are more difficult, because the police do not want to put their informants in jeopardy of having revenge taken against them for ratting out the arms dealers, and it's much easier to keep track of the sale (and what you sold who to) of 4-10 guns that of which at least some are different calibers compared to dozens and dozens of pills or drug packets.

SpikeTalon 9 Feb 22
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Busts with CIs are the most likely to be compromised in someway, The most effective are undercover police officers that are less likely to compromise the evidence. This is not an apples to apples argument.

glennlab Level 10 Feb 22, 2024

Sure, they are the easiest to get compromised, not all do though. While undercover officers would probably be best for busts of that nature, in the OP above I was referring to cases where they use informants, and in at least some cases the police might not want to use one of their own as the suspected arms dealer may already be aware of all of the undercover narcs on the local police force (black market traders have some complex ways in countering police efforts) or have their own spys who closely monitor local police activity.

Some years back I had worked with a few guys who were on work release, and on the side even while still incarcerated, they dealt in drugs and weapons, and they had ways of being able to determine if potential customers were undercover police, and even pointed out some of them to me (not that I cared, as I wasn't involved in criminal crap like that). I think the police know that, which is why a good number of them rely on informants to help out, and when going the informant route it sounds logical they could run into the problem mentioned in the OP.

Also, in case you wonder what brought this post on, a few nights ago in class one of the police detectives giving the presentation went into detail regarding drug and illegal gun busts, and why the latter of those two is usually more difficult for them to pull off, and based on what he said I've no reason to believe he was lying or exaggerating.

@SpikeTalon I would say the main reason for the lower number is the smaller market for illegal firearms. There are a number of legal firearms and legal firearms dealers and legal firearms purchasers. There is a huge difference in the way the law is applied between drugs and guns. I can possess a semi auto, a conversion kit and ammunition in any quantity without violating the law. If I buy the precursors to drugs whether I combine them or not, I can be arrested. I can buy a license to manufacture fully automatic weapons, I cannot do that with drugs. It wasn't a true apples to apples comparison. The original premise may be correct, but it is not a fair comparison.

@glennlab You're right about the comparison part, and precisely because those two could not exactly be compared against each other is maybe a reason why the data for the two regarding busts should be considered individual of one another. That's pretty much the reason for this post, certain factors to consider, such as what you pointed out with how the laws are applied.

@SpikeTalon It's like comparing the number of kills for duck hunters versus moose hunters.

And drug dealers may or may not be armed, arms dealers always are.

glennlab Level 10 Feb 22, 2024

Yes, and that's why they have SWAT units for such scenarios.

Recent Visitors 6

Photos 507 More

Posted by ButtercupI doubt she said it buts it's cute.

Posted by Smurfing101

Posted by DruviusAh yes, modern America.

Posted by Tejas

Posted by SwitchcraftSandy Hook 13th sad anniversary - 12/14/12

Posted by SwitchcraftSandy Hook 13th sad anniversary - 12/14/12

Posted by MoravianSad but true.

Posted by DruviusAlways loved this one.

Posted by TejasAnti trump pistol. Do you have mixed feelings about it?

Posted by TejasLook at this scary gun!

Posted by Tejas

Posted by SeaGreenEyezThe most unaware "Awareness Day" in America was yesterday.

Posted by SeaGreenEyezThe most unaware "Awareness Day" in America was yesterday.

• Top tags#guns #NRA #video #laws #violence #guncontrol #massshooting #god #DonaldTrump #Police #world #children #religion #reason #Texas #hell #religious #friends #republicans #rights #death #vote #kids #Atheist #hope #USA #society #teachers #church #truth #florida #government #fear #money #belief #atheism #conservative #sex #parents #Christian #agnostic #earth #community #schools #culture #evidence #youtube #Christians #wife #murder ...

Members 918Top