Agnostic.com
1 0

In 2+ decades of climate change activism, and day-job industry analysis related to climate change, I'm not sure if I've ever seen anyone make this point, and so well. Taxes have been "taken off the table" as a tool for addressing climate change, and usually it's done with the justification that they are somehow a last resort that is inimical to capitalism. They are not, in my view, inimical to capitalism.

Mainstream economists have improperly minimized the stakes and set aside discussion of mechanisms to address address a life and death pollution matter.

‘War’ footing needed to correct economists’ miscalculations on climate change, says professor
Published Sun, May 23 20219:55 PM EDT
[cnbc.com]

*"....Mainstream economists “deliberately and completely” ignored scientific data and instead “made up their own numbers” to suit their market models, Steve Keen, a fellow at University College London’s Institute for Strategy, Resilience and Security, told CNBC on Friday.

*Now, a “war-level footing” is required to have any hope of repairing the damage, he said.

• *“Fundamentally, the economists have totally misrepresented the science and ignored it where it contradicts their bias that climate change is not a big deal because, in their opinion, capitalism can handle anything,” Keen told “Street Signs Asia.”
kmaz 7 May 25
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Funny, I just read in the latest "Atlantic" from an article, 'How to End Extreme Childhood Poverty' a section "(There's not much evidence from other countries that a child allowance induces people to have more children. Having more children to build the workforce wouldn't hurt in the U.S. given its low fertility rate...)."

When it comes to certain things environmental scientists are on opposite pages. In the area of population especially immigration industries want a bigger, more controllable workforce and one that is willing to do shit work. Unfortunately they have the money to spin things their way and turn those who question their misguided ideas, into some sort of uncaring scofflaw.

There has been a branch of economists that do take such things as externalaties and push for a truly sustainable economy. One that shows our natural resources are the principle and we need to learn to live off the interest. Right now the principle is crashing and soon we will be in bankruptcy.

JackPedigo Level 9 May 25, 2021

I think it's interesting how the economic bankruptcy (along with societal/political breakdown or bankruptcy) will come after the (badly undiagnosed and under-discussed) intellectual and (for want of a better word) spiritual bankruptcies.

@kmaz Of course because they all have the same source, the breakdown of our life support system. This affects everything we need to get along and survive even things that don't seem connected.
In the UN convention on population in Cairo I kept hearing the adage "No matter what your cause it will be a lost cause if we don't come to grips with overpopulation." Guess what?

@JackPedigo

1. You wrote:
    "....In the UN convention on population in Cairo I kept hearing the adage "No matter what your cause it will be a lost cause if we don't come to grips with overpopulation." Guess what?...."

I think this is a very good point.

1. I wrote:
    "....I think it's interesting how the economic bankruptcy (along with societal/political breakdown or bankruptcy) will come after the (badly undiagnosed and under-discussed) intellectual and (for want of a better word) spiritual bankruptcies....."

to which you responded:
"....Of course because they all have the same source, the breakdown of our life support system. This affects everything we need to get along and survive even things that don't seem connected....."

On this point I disagree. The breakdown of our life support-system, largely or entirely caused by human actions, is in my view a symptom, not the base-level cause of the sorts of issues I laid out. Yes, it then leads to other things and so for some purposes can be seen as a cause, but I think if there is any sort of desire to get to the bottom of things, and to search for and find real base-level solutions which can then lead to real amelioration of other secondary issues (such as climate change) we should be looking elsewhere, such as in the realm of philosophy, human thinking, human nature, social compacts and fresh-sheet-of-paper approaches to the so-called tragedy of the commons. I think more humans in general need to do a better deeper job of discovering reason.

@kmaz So the solution is we should all become philosophers?! So what about all the billions living in impoverished lands just trying to survive yet having no access to birth control or even basic necessities of life? Yes, the main problem is a human failure of understanding what is needed to save ourselves but that idea has long since passed it's, use by date. The breakdown of the life support systems for humans and thousands of other life forms is here and getting bigger each day. So all the hypothetical's will do little to alleviate the end result.

Hi @JackPedigo

"....Yes, the main problem is a human failure of understanding what is needed to save ourselves but that idea has long since passed it's, use by date....."

The main problem is a human failure of understanding about a lot of things, including how to go about our lives, individually, and how best to relate to each other as a society. I have no idea what you are going on about as to a use-by date. Taking time in a discussion forum to understand an issue or effort more deeply does not imply a failure to act on immediate life and death emergencies.

@kmaz There are levels of trying to understand an issue more deeply. Since I have dedicated my life to seeing where this planet of humans is headed, my level goes way beyond mere human interactions. It includes a realization where we are at, at this present moment and that we have far out-stripped the planets carrying capacity and using even more resources will only makes things worse. The failure is basically making everything about us and not the system upon we depend for not only our lives but the thousands of others that are being lost due to our actions. Thousands and thousands of scientists and knowledgeable people have warned us and yet we fail to heed their warnings and the obvious signs of destruction.

Hi - @JackPedigo

you wrote: "....There are levels of trying to understand an issue more deeply. ..."
my response: Yes, we agree on this.

you wrote: "...we have far out-stripped the planets carrying capacity and using even more resources will only makes things worse. The failure is basically making everything about us and not the system upon we depend for not only our lives but the thousands of others that are being lost due to our actions. ..."
my response: the situation is pretty awful, and it won't be fixed just by a solar or battery or electric vehicle innovation, or by a new business model in building efficiency or electric vehicle charging, nor by a leap forward in pollution cleanup. Those things are in my view necessary but not sufficient. Another necessary, but not sufficient, element to system fix is population stabilization and reduction. Another, in my view, is generally more enlightened thinking among people. One of the additional reasons I mention this (aside from the difficulty of shouting out and parsing the externality issue) is that we are on a board where, in theory, we are united by all of us having come to a somewhat more enlightened personal philosophic place.

To be sure, I can empathize with a point of view that we dare not "wait around" for Christianity and the like to fade away, if we want to deal with immediate existential environmental and system overload issues. I agree with this. But "waiting around" inappropriately, in the face of an existential crisis is different from acknowledging that we are humans and guided (over the course of our lifetimes) in our behavior (which we are trying to think of ways to modify) by principles (whether good ones or bad ones is a different matter). So, simultaneously, while we are trying to think of effective immediate practical ethical appropriate ways to get 8 billion people, of various degrees of enlightened thinking and primitive thinking, to change course and avoid the worst of the system overload problem (which is centuries in the making so we are too far down the road to avoid a decent portion of it) .... while we are working on this, I also think simultaneously we should carve out additional resources better to understand ourselves, and this would (in my view) help improve our imperfect response to the various crises taking place on the ground.

@kmaz I don't understand the last part "..we should carve our additional resources better to understand ourselves..." We can't (get resources0 what's not there. Even living fairly independently on an island one is still dependent on others use of critical resources. Again, it all boils down to the number of people and their activities. There re things one has no control over and one biggie here are the ferries. We are undergoing a county change in our growth management plan (the county thinks we can accommodate more people) and many of us disagree. Too often those making rules fail to see externalities.

Hi - @JackPedigo

In this case the word "resources" does not refer to natural resources. The phrasing "carve out resources" was meant to try to bring up the more abstruse non-concrete issue of (to put it another way) setting aside effort to improve our thinking.

Recent Visitors 7

Photos 49 More

Posted by kmazfrom a french artist, fabrien barrau

Posted by KilltheskyfairyPlease spend 3 minutes reading this note from William Shatner, the actor from Star Trek: “Last year, I had a life-changing experience at 90 years old.

Posted by KilltheskyfairyDon’t blame me! I voted for Gore! (and Kerry, and Clinton, etc.)

Posted by KilltheskyfairyDon’t blame me! I voted for Gore! (and Kerry, and Clinton, etc.)

Posted by AnonySchmooseAchieving Climate Change Mitigation in the Forest Sector | Frontiers Research Topic

Posted by AnonySchmooseVisualizing the Quantities of Climate Change – Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet

Posted by LetzGetReal In “Mermaid” BENJAMIN VON WONG created a scene using 10,000 donated USED plastic bottles then photographed it from overhead.

Posted by AnonySchmooseThe Search for Planet-Friendly Protein | Yes! Magazine

Posted by AnonySchmooseThe Search for Planet-Friendly Protein | Yes! Magazine

Posted by AnonySchmooseWill protecting 30 percent of Earth prevent the extinction crisis? | Science News

Posted by LetzGetRealHi ALL, Been away, lots to do in my real life community, plus family issues in the states were pressing.

Posted by Heidi68Truth from a boy and his tiger

Posted by Heidi68They knew at the beginning of the last century. Just think if we had listened & work toward change starting back then

Posted by JoeBUnexpectedly large herd of Elephants sighted in Borno State, .

Posted by MsAlIts been raining all winter here in Michigan and Im finding it hard to avoid politics by talking about the weather.

Posted by djs64Happy and sad.

• Top tags#climate #video #ClimateChange #environment #world #earth #hope #community #animals #government #society #solar #species #policy #technology #religion #scientific #justice #DonaldTrump #friends #book #death #GlobalWarming #vote #population #ecology #reason #limit #politicians #USA #religious #college #oil #humanity #survival #evidence #economic #Jesus #films #Atheist #Australia #god #military #humans #politics #children #republicans #activism #fear #truth ...

Members 137Top