Agnostic.com
1 3

LINK Why wildfires have gotten worse -- and what we can do about it | Paul Hessburg - YouTube

TED Talks with Forest Ecologist Paul Hessburg

"Megafires, individual fires that burn more than 100,000 acres, are on the rise in the western United States -- the direct result of unintentional yet massive changes we've brought to the forests through a century of misguided management. What steps can we take to avoid further destruction? Forest ecologist Paul Hessburg confronts some tough truths about wildfires and details how we can help restore the natural balance of the landscape."

AnonySchmoose 8 Aug 22
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This county was once heavily logged. Most of what we have now is 2nd and 3rd forests. Even I can see, from my own property, there is too much crowding and refuse wood. Problem is the issue is too large for any simply remedies. Yes, Smokey the bear was wrong but. We may have the information and some of the tools but where is the human power and money and, of course, private property is really hard to control. Unfortunately, this is just one more problem out of a myriad of other major issues.

JackPedigo Level 9 Aug 22, 2021

Humankind in cooperation will have to wake up and make changes to how most things have been done since the the start of Industrial Age. If we don't all contribute, we will have to face the wrath of Mother Nature. Maybe some power mongers will be forced to wake up too. The covid pandemic and future pandemics are indirect consequences brought on by the causes of climate change.

@AnonySchmoose Even so, we can all see how humans co-operate (not) especially during a global emergency. Sorry to sound pessimistic but humans are not looking very corroborative right now. Seems we have a trifecta here, pandemic, climate change and stupidity.

@JackPedigo I don't wish to be negative, but those who won't cooperate stand to lose big-time (eventually) whether it's their popularity, reputation, respect, or their lives. Any of that they will bring on themselves.

@AnonySchmoose It's not being negative but realistic. I'm curious, how are people cooperating where you live?

@JackPedigo
I assume you refer to the pandemic. To generalize, tourists don't respect mask rules, while the residents wear colorful masks.
"1,036,718 people or 73.22% of the population have received at least one dose. Overall, 772,354 people or 54.55% of Hawaii's population have been fully vaccinated." [usafacts.org]
Some tourists who didn't get tested after arriving here have been hunted down and jailed. Tourism is most of the economy here.

@AnonySchmoose The vaccine rate is close to what we have here. I do like the idea of jailing people who refuse to at least be tested. Tourism is a big part of our county and it seems more and more want that to change. The ferry system is crashing due to the overloads and sometimes it feels we are becoming urbanized.

@JackPedigo
I flew over Seattle and the islands on the way to Vancouver Island in 2017, and got a good sense of the beauty of those areas. Then on the way back, I took a bus to Seattle, toured it, and flew out of SeaTac... the first time I saw all of those places. Loved all of that.

@AnonySchmoose Why Vancouver Island? Was it a visit to Victoria?
My daughter recently came for a visit. It has been two years. I wanted to surprise her with a plane ticket from Sea Tac to Lopez via San Juan air (yes we have an airport with two long paved runways and a terminal, we also use Fisherman's Bay as an airport for float planes). The pandemic put a stop to that. In the meantime my sister was able to escape Texass and moved in with a brother in N. Seattle. Then she met someone online who lives in Bellingham. They hit it off and bought a condo there. My daughter has not seen her aunt in 35 years and was able took a ticket from S. Cal. to Bellingham. From Seattle she took a small commuter plane and flew over the San Juan's and also on the way back. She took lots of pictures including Lopez. It was actually cheaper than a separate flight or taking the shuttle from Seattle.

Now I just read the governor of Hawaii is trying to get tourists to stay away. Seems there are already restrictions on mask wearing, vaccines and testing and a quarantine period for those who won't get tested. We need more sane states as the insane ones are killing the country. Our governor is also very proactive.

@JackPedigo
Yes, we stayed in Victoria for a week, and traveled around the island.
Then we took a ferry to Vancouver and stayed there for a week.
Really loved the First Nations cultures. We visited lots of museums.

@AnonySchmoose Yes, the UBC has a fabulous museum on indigenous history. Been there a couple of times.

@JackPedigo
We visited the UBC museum and the Japanese garden and the aerial forest walk (forgot the name... the high-up suspended walkways from tree to tree).

@AnonySchmoose LOL thanks for the reminder. I once read a book where the author (a woman) wanted to test out a theory. She planted herself on two bridges one very stable and the other that suspension bridge. She then would meet men on the bridges and get into a conversation. Then she would give them her calling card. She received very few replies from the men on the stable bridge but many on the suspension bridge. Her theory was that people often feel more attracted to another when there is a level of risk involved. A increase in adrenaline stimulates attraction chemicals. Makes sense to me.
Kudos for your governor. We just got word that our county council unanimously voted to have a mask and vaccine mandate for people working or volunteering for the county. We also passed a rule severley limiting vacation rentals. As you we live in an island archipelago and as such there are limits. Now we are starting to recognize that fact and take action.

Recent Visitors 10

Photos 49 More

Posted by kmazfrom a french artist, fabrien barrau

Posted by KilltheskyfairyPlease spend 3 minutes reading this note from William Shatner, the actor from Star Trek: “Last year, I had a life-changing experience at 90 years old.

Posted by KilltheskyfairyDon’t blame me! I voted for Gore! (and Kerry, and Clinton, etc.)

Posted by KilltheskyfairyDon’t blame me! I voted for Gore! (and Kerry, and Clinton, etc.)

Posted by AnonySchmooseAchieving Climate Change Mitigation in the Forest Sector | Frontiers Research Topic

Posted by AnonySchmooseVisualizing the Quantities of Climate Change – Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet

Posted by LetzGetReal In “Mermaid” BENJAMIN VON WONG created a scene using 10,000 donated USED plastic bottles then photographed it from overhead.

Posted by AnonySchmooseThe Search for Planet-Friendly Protein | Yes! Magazine

Posted by AnonySchmooseThe Search for Planet-Friendly Protein | Yes! Magazine

Posted by AnonySchmooseWill protecting 30 percent of Earth prevent the extinction crisis? | Science News

Posted by LetzGetRealHi ALL, Been away, lots to do in my real life community, plus family issues in the states were pressing.

Posted by Heidi68Truth from a boy and his tiger

Posted by Heidi68They knew at the beginning of the last century. Just think if we had listened & work toward change starting back then

Posted by JoeBUnexpectedly large herd of Elephants sighted in Borno State, .

Posted by MsAlIts been raining all winter here in Michigan and Im finding it hard to avoid politics by talking about the weather.

Posted by djs64Happy and sad.

• Top tags#climate #video #ClimateChange #environment #world #earth #hope #community #animals #government #society #solar #species #policy #technology #religion #scientific #justice #DonaldTrump #friends #book #death #GlobalWarming #vote #population #ecology #reason #limit #politicians #USA #religious #college #oil #humanity #survival #evidence #economic #Jesus #films #Atheist #Australia #god #military #humans #politics #children #republicans #activism #fear #truth ...

Members 138Top