Agnostic.com
4 9
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have been wanting them to catch this happening for years. The NASA Swift Ray gamma telescope Penn. State uses is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Heathenman Level 7 Jan 12, 2022

Per Google: "Carbon burning eventually occurs in all stars that start out with more than about eight solar masses. At a temperature of about 6 × 10^8 K, carbon nuclei can fuse to form magnesium,.."

When... " the thermal pressure from fusion is no longer sufficient to counter the gravitational collapse and create the hydrostatic equilibrium found in most stars. This causes the star to start contracting and increasing in temperature until it eventually becomes compressed enough for the helium core to become degenerate matter. This degeneracy pressure is finally sufficient to stop further collapse of the most central material but the rest of the core continues to contract and the temperature continues to rise until it reaches a point (≈1×108 K) at which the helium can ignite and start to fuse.

Whereas a helium flash is a very brief thermal runaway nuclear fusion of large quantities of helium into carbon through the triple-alpha process in the core of low mass stars (between 0.8 solar masses (M☉) and 2.0 M☉[1]) during their red giant phase...(Wikipedia)

racocn8 Level 9 Jan 12, 2022

Thanks, I knew fusion occurred but not the details.

. . . just occurred to me
. . . perhaps it is only RedGiants Of Unusual Size (ROUS). 🙂

Apologies. I can't answer your questions. Just thought that people that like science would enjoy this as I did.

@MizJ . . . not intended as a question, but rather a (perhaps lame) attempt at humor :

[en.wikipedia.org]

IIRC, a recent article/video mentioned that only (? ) red giants collapse/explode into supernovas.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 26

Photos 136 More

Posted by racocn8I saw some articles on meteorite composition and ended up with this picture.

Posted by racocn8Here are some photos of eggs deposited on the underside of leaves.

Posted by racocn8Here are some photos of eggs deposited on the underside of leaves.

Posted by Slava3That makes me nervous

Posted by Slava3So we are part of a Cosmic ecosystem?

Posted by SergeTafCamNot too long ago I had the opportunity to take a couple of pictures of a peacock's feather.

Posted by SergeTafCamNot too long ago I had the opportunity to take a couple of pictures of a peacock's feather.

Posted by SergeTafCamWhat's your favorite color?

Posted by SergeTafCamExciting times.

• Top tags#video #world #religion #religious #youtube #scientific #god #physics #evidence #earth #hope #solar #nuclear #friends #technology #humans #cosmic #book #quantum #reason #evolution #faith #truth #belief #books #relationship #NASA #laws #stars #Cosmos #money #community #believer #atheism #Atheist #astronomy #beliefs #Texas #environment #biology #media #teach #prayer #church #divorce #TheTruth #politics #agnostic #planets #kids ...

Members 304Top