Agnostic.com
12 4

New atheist. any advice?

Hey, I'm a newer atheist and everyone in my family is religious so...any advice? I am a closeted atheist

venom1700 2 Feb 3
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Many of us were once in the closet. You have made the first step by coming out here. Enjoy.

Red_Cat Level 7 Feb 24, 2021

Rule No. 1. You're not the one that has any elobarate explaining to do!

Salo Level 7 Feb 4, 2021

Welcome and enjoy it in any manner you feel comfortable with

RoyMillar Level 9 Feb 4, 2021

Hello and welcome.

Remember that you are under no obligation to anyone, to tell them your inner thoughts, and since religion is meaningless, there is no harm in going though the motions. Therefore if there is any danger to yourself or your social status, from coming out, there is no great cost in remaining closeted.

If however you feel that you are supporting religion by remaining in it, and feel you have to come out, then take your time. Find and establish a secular support network first, this site is a good start. But if you do come out, what you will find is that there are a lot more secularists out there than you can imagine.

Fernapple Level 9 Feb 4, 2021

Stick to it and be comfortable with being vocal about it.

Just enjoy here

bobwjr Level 10 Feb 3, 2021

Just chill out here !!

Cokein Level 4 Feb 3, 2021

This site is a good start and you may be surprised to find other "closeted" family members as well! 1 on 1, hinting for starters. A group tends to reinforce fantasy as in church. While working on a K remodel talking to the owner, religion came up and I told her I was an atheist! She cried and hugged me and said she thought she was the only one who felt that way......that is what religion was invented for... group mind control! A wonderful example happened on Jan 6 2021 only 5 dead in the capital, A loss for the christian nationalists?

Paganlyl Level 6 Feb 3, 2021

Since age 6, I have been an atheist. I scoffed at ridiculous Bible stories.

No reason to be closeted.

When people try to convert me, I say one of these sentences:

1. "I don't believe in an invisible deity that lives somewhere above the clouds."

2. "As an atheist, I chose rational thinking not magical beliefs." (This offends pastors. Perfect.)

3. "We are all atheists here," sweeping my arm grandly to include the entire neighborhood.

4. "I don't believe in the Easter bunny, Santa Claus, fairies or an invisible god."

Hahahaha!

Watch where you step, carry a big stick.

Welcome to reality.

Ask away, its what we are here for

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 29

Photos 58 More

Posted by MoravianTory Corruption ?

Posted by MoravianA Tory Christmas carol

Posted by MoravianAny takers

Posted by MattHardyA Boris promise is just a lie that hasn't happened yet. Whatever Sue Grey says, no way is Boris going to admit he lied and resign.

Posted by MoravianJacob Rees Mogg is one of my least favourite people in the world.

Posted by MoravianBoris certainly has his finger on the pulse

Posted by webspider555No trump to take the spotlight off him now

Posted by MannanWhat do you think.....?hahaha

Posted by McflewsterEVERY BORIS SPEECH [agnostic.com]

Posted by MoravianPolitics in the UK

Posted by webspider555All set to go well with the vaccination roll out

Posted by webspider555Vaccine already in production

Posted by webspider555If Boris is mentioned then I cannot rule out it being true

Posted by HawkeyeNew to this group, thanks for having me :) Thought I would share something that has had my poor wee atheist brain turning for a few days (the article is a few days old).

Posted by McflewsterWhere Religion ,Monarchy and Private Education meet. Taken from the Book "BOY" by Roald Dahl "Tales of Childhood" [agnostic.com]

Posted by webspider555I’m beginning to wonder whether our government is just incompetent or are all these things happening just to get us in a rage arguing amongst ourselves.

• Top tags#video #world #hope #religious #government #god #religion #church #DonaldTrump #Atheist #BBC #vote #atheism #reason #friends #death #politics #money #children #laws #agnostic #fear #community #book #minister #Christian #media #belief #society #faith #rights #parents #dogs #cats #beliefs #hello #Jesus #politicians #truth #Australia #weather #movies #Christmas #wife #conservative #Wisdom #Song #kids #USA #Europe ...

Members 387Top