Agnostic.com
5 5

How one post leads to another from an association of ideas. After yesterday’s English sea shanty I got to thinking about 60s rock band Procol Harum and one of their hit songs “Salty Dog” and found this live 2006 performance by the band (lead singer and keyboardist Gary Brooker) at a summer concert at Ledreborg Castle in Denmark. They’re accompanied by the Danish National Concert Orchestra and Choir. Sadly we lost Gary last year to cancer at the age of 76.

Marionville 10 Oct 15
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Loved them when they came on the scene here in California where I lived at the time in 1967. I thought their music was ahead of its time back then.

It was ahead of it’s time of course!

He kept that powerful voice to the end!

Sorry, but where was Ringo Starr other than at the end?

But here: Ringo Starr and the Fourth All Starr Band - COMPLETE 1997 VIDEO

@rogerbenham The tour allows each member to do the well known songs of each's solo or band career, so this is just one song from the show. They play as a band with each member taking their turn leading a few songs. Ringo takes a hosting role and generally only speaks or sings up front on his own songs, or Beatle songs. Otherwise, he's happy as a clam to be back up on the riser playing away on his kit as a member of a band. Each tour has generally different members, though as the years have passed, there are less and less higher profile musicians around who are able to tour. I have seen 5 All-Starr bands and really enjoyed them all. Good music with a very nostalgic feel.

The only thing I remember about Procul Harum was Whiter Shade of Pale. This music verges on classical. I had no idea they did such fully arranged un-pop music. I am impressed.

A lot of pop/rock groups went down the classical or symphonic treatment route with their earlier hits later in their careers. It proved what I’ve said all along about many pop songs being well composed and not just throwaway pap.

@Marionville Well I well remember "You can't always get what you want" with the Rolling Stones and the London Bach Choir, but I was thinking that Procul Harum could not have made my money playing theat concert with the size of backup.

@rogerbenham I think many of the top bands do this sort of concert as a prestige charity event in conjunction with the orchestra. The ticket prices would be high but all proceeds would go to some worthy cause or charity. The musicians would only take expenses and the band likewise. Whilst saying that a-ha brought The Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra with them on tour to London’s Royal Albert Hall in 2010, and I don’t think they came there and gave their services free of charge….but RAH at full capacity for three nights would bring in a huge revenue!

Always thought Gary had a great textured voice. Unconventional. He tried carrying on with a few classical orchestral arrangements mixed in, and all to his credit. He toured on one of the Ringo Starr and his All-Star Band lineups along with Peter Frampton and Jack Bruce. Still one of the top three concerts I ever went to.

That must’ve been a great gig!

Even if you HAVEN'T been smoking weed....there are many ways to interpret this song...are they dead? Alive? Deserting the ship?

pamagain Level 8 Oct 15, 2023

Take your pick…it’s entirely up to you! 😁

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 7

Photos 63 More

Posted by FrayedBearNow the sanctions against Israel spread to the Euroschism Song contest.

Posted by FrayedBearA recording of an interesting broadcast on the subject of coffee by relatively well known but nonetheless superb Australian folk singer Kavisha Mazella

Posted by kocasYou will face a hurdle in the daily weaving game that you must overcome.

Posted by Zoewees[shp.ee] SALDO SHOPEE GRATIS LANGSUNG CAIR 2022

Posted by ReignmondIt is tough to find sharable music from The Oppossums Of Truth. There are 3 full albums of Scientific Gospel music here. [boomplay.com]

Posted by ReignmondIt is tough to find sharable music from The Oppossums Of Truth. There are 3 full albums of Scientific Gospel music here. [boomplay.com]

Posted by ReignmondIcelandic Folk Music - Tyrkjaránid - YouTube

Posted by ReignmondOk...how about this hauntingly beautiful opera aria? [youtu.be]

Posted by ReignmondOkay, let's just say this is not like K-pop....and let it go at that. I stumbled on them about 3 years ago. [youtu.be]

Posted by ReignmondAn Irish song in Gaelic with translation [youtu.be]

Posted by ReignmondThe song title translates to I Won't Give Up by Hungarian Alternative/Indie band Intim Torna Illegál (Intimate Gymnastics Is Illegal). [youtu.be]

Posted by ReignmondGet ready for some beautiful music. I have a couple albums by Heartstrings. Sometimes I play them in the office and it is quite popular. [youtu.be]

Posted by ReignmondJapanglish Song - YouTube

Posted by ReignmondAVA Opera - The Doll's Song from "Tales of Hoffmann" - YouTube

Posted by ReignmondYoshida Brothers - Rising - YouTube

Posted by ReignmondHunnu Guren - Batzorig Vaanchig & Auli - YouTube

• Top tags#video #Song #world #musicians #Norway #traditional #hope #god #sing #friends #dance #hello #movies #religion #youtube #Europe #jazz #children #Australia #films #lyrics #religious #DonaldTrump #reason #death #church #wife #Atheist #earth #book #USA #parents #mother #relationship #Russian #community #sex #hell #money #soul #Christian #kids #culture #holiday #laws #dream #atheism #plays #Jesus #beliefs ...

Members 1,331Top