Agnostic.com
1 6

On what is the Winter Solstice I thought I post a couple of traditional English wassailing songs…really not carols but pre Christian songs in praise of the natural world and the changing seasons, accompanied by much merriment and drinking of mead, ale & cider. The word wassail itself is derived from the Old Norse salutation “Ves Heill” which means “be in good health” or “be fortunate”.

The Gloucester Wassail & The Holly & The Ivy….the visuals are depicting The English Regency period….

Marionville 10 Dec 22
Share
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

2

Beautiful music and visuals. On the first song I wonder what that cake looking food with the slice cut out is called? The Regency period looked quite fashionable. 😉 The pictures on the second song would be beautiful in frames for a home. Happy Winter Solstice to you Marje.

I have seen similar pastry/layered "pies" made with Hot Water Crust on the Great British Baking Show several times. Quite complicated to get right!!!!!

….and Happy Winter Solstice to you too Rhonda! 🍷🥰

@annewimsey1 @Redheadedgammy Yes Anne it is indeed a raised pie….made with a hot water pastry crust. It looks like it has either pork or game with cranberry filling.

@annewimsey1 Thanks for the info that it's a raised pie. I have no idea what hot water crust pastry is, so will Google it. 😉 It looks so pretty, and maybe it could be made with just vegetables for us vegetarians.

@Redheadedgammy the only thing I remember is, you Must coook the water out of the vegies first or end up with drippy goo instead of crust...there have been some Spectacular disasters on that show!!!!