Agnostic.com
2 3

The Virus Crisis in Australia and Welfare.

I was wondering if you think the current COVID-19 crisis might change the way see welfare and the social safety net in Australia.

Let me explain. One of things I have hated about contemporary Australia over recent decades has been the negative and judgemental public attitude towards people under the social security system. This has come from our right wing political parties, especially from Howard on, but it's also common for people generally to buy into this attitude, put down anyone on welfare, especially business people, and people who are doing fine and feel it's ok to look down on welfare 'losers'. I hate this. I hate that too often people forget that life spins on a dime, and you never know what can happen to you.

Well, in the current crisis, maybe a lot of people are doing it tough, maybe need government support, maybe for the first time ever in their lives. Could it be a bit of a learning curve for many? Could it be they might be less inclined to be so judgemental about others who are not on the nice wicket they are on? Or am i just getting optimistic and silly in my old(er) age?

I have long believed in universal basic income, get rid of that hideous Centrelink bureaucracy.

The conservatives will not change, we know that. Who knows what the worthless ALP might do. But could the national sentiment on welfare and social security change?

Any thoughts?

David1955 8 Apr 29
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

And stop ripping the guts out of medicare. Everytime the conservatives get in they do their best to destroy the social welfare system amd the ALP do nothimg to repair it. I agree the ALP are useless.

Cyklone Level 7 Apr 29, 2020

@powder yes, for a while there they didn't do too bad a job of keeping the bastards honest. 😄

A truly livable 'Universal Income' would be a very good move for all and sundry lmo.
Especially considering that before the Covid-19 Pandemic the Unemployment Payment, aka, Jobseeker where there were jobs so few and far between, was miles below anything that a recipient could manage to survive upon.
Even the Sole Parent Payment was so low that, as a once Sole parent, it was a struggle to make ends meet especially with 1 child only and her attending High School as well.
But, imho, neither the tight-fisted LNP nor the ALP, who, in my opinion, seem to be firmly wedged in the pockets of the 'Big End of Town' will be loathe to change anything that suits the average Australian.

Triphid Level 9 Apr 29, 2020

No disagreement from me. As I said, the conservatives will not embrace anything willingly to the benefit of working people. They are only splashing money now because they have to. They will gut working people the first chance they get. As for the ALP, worthless I wrote and worthless I meant.

@David1955 Yes, ever since the Liberal Cohorts plotted and got rid of Whitlam under totally false pretences the ALP has become a toothless tiger.

@Triphid plotted with a little help from their friends in the UK and the US. Makes me laugh when I hear yanks go on about 'interference' in their democratic elections. (As if they actually had such things). Interference? They perfected it, as part of their post WW2 international policy.

@David1955 I once worked in a Government Department that has the full documented records of the Whitlam 'Affair' and they are very interesting reading, trust me.
Gough was on the verge of declaring Australia as a Republic, telling the Yanks to either open up about Pine Gap and EVERYTHING they were involved there or Move their arses back to America, make it that ALL Primary Industries and Comanies in Australia were solely Owned, Operated and Run by Australians, NO companies, Corporations, etc, in Australia could ever have ' Cayman Islands style Bank Accounts," they MUST pay their fair share of Taxes, everyone in Australia would have a say in how the country was run and there would no longer be the Prefeered Vote System by which parties could 'barter' votes between each other and each Political Party standing foe election MUST stand alone and NOT for a Collalition with any other.
Had he NOT been undermined by the Poms, Yanks and the LNP Scumbags I believe this country would now be a shining light to the rest of the world rather that the joke, imho, it is today.

@Triphid interesting. You were well placed and informed. I have long suspected a great deal more went on behind the scenes. I get accused of not being "patriotic" enough, for not singing along with the 'Australia, greatest country in the world' chant. I say, I'm a patriot of the country Australia could be -- a model of a progressive and socially and economically just and independent country-- rather than the sycophantic self-congratulating self-absorbed country we are. Half a century later, Whitlam's vision still burns brightly for me.

Recent Visitors 12

Photos 150 More

Posted by 1patriotthey are creating a 15 Cities all along this coast in Australia

Posted by 1patriotthunder writes: I remember early in the pandemic when there was a protest outside the hospital (Toronto Canada).

Posted by vocaloldfart Is this the way of the future?

Posted by vocaloldfartIf you think times were tough under the LNP Mafiosa in the previous years, Give Dutton the disastrous destroyer the vote in the next election, and look foreward to worse to come.

Posted by vocaloldfartMichael Pascoe: And the award for the worst Liberal leader goes to… ?

Posted by vocaloldfartDingoes elevated to 'almost-human' status in pre-colonial Australia .

Posted by vocaloldfartVanadium batteries’ sustainable energy hailed as key to solar revolution Vanadium could be the answer to using solar and wind round the clock, silencing critics who say they’re useless when the...

Posted by FrayedBearThis amused me. How about you? "Don’t worry about the world coming to an end today. It is already tomorrow in Australia." Charles Shulz

Posted by FrayedBearNine chairman, and former Australian Treasurer, Peter Costello is now promoting war with China after making $millions lobbying for defence companies BY SHANE DOWLING ON MARCH 12, 2023

Posted by FrayedBearIt has taken since 1986 for the Australian Human Rights Commission to release papers & a suggested draft for incorporation into Australian law to protect all citizens.

Posted by FrayedBearIt has taken since 1986 for the Australian Human Rights Commission to release papers & a suggested draft for incorporation into Australian law to protect all citizens.

Posted by FrayedBearWhat a con - mRNA vaccinations?

Posted by FrayedBearWhy is the Murdoch media not widely reporting this apparent scandal that should prevent the NSW Premier being re-elected for a further 4 years?

Posted by vocaloldfartsign of the times

• Top tags#Australia #government #video #world #god #religious #hope #friends #laws #politicians #religion #money #minister #federal #media #reason #DonaldTrump #children #liberal #politics #community #rights #Police #Atheist #military #evidence #death #Christian #Jesus #China #hell #church #atheism #policy #USA #corruption #parents #youtube #truth #vote #book #religions #kids #dogs #justice #faith #agnostic #trolls #movies #population ...

Members 429Top