Agnostic.com
4 0

Okay my fellow Aussies, a recent piece popped up on my Newsfeed that propose a National Drivers License Scheme to instigated throughout Australia.
Imo, it's a bloody good idea and should cover both Drivers Licenses, Road Rules, Speed Limits, etc, etc, as well.
To my way of thinking, We, Australians have lived way too long in the parochial ideology of one state versus the others.
We have been stuck in the rut of being a Country divided and separated into 6 different States and 2 Territories, it IS, imo, high time we ALL untied as One People, One Country, One Federated Nation with One Central Government instead of each State having its own State Government, its own individual Laws, etc.
Why not make it One Central Government with a Representative Body/Administration instead of having so many needless and extra Elections occurring in different years and needing so many extra Politicians costing the Tax-payers more than is truly needed?
At present Australia seems be somewhat akin to the " Push me-Pull You " animal from the original Dr. Doolittle movie in that it tries to go in 2 or more directions at the same time but actually goes nowhere at all.
Any comments for or against would be welcome to see/read and discussed.

Triphid 9 June 14
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think that the two tiered system was to prevent a federal government from having too much power, however as a teacher my teaching registration board card is useless out side of my state my working with children card is useless outside of my state, I think having national standards and requirements would allow for better movement from one state to another. If I moved to another state I lose all of my sick leave and have to apply for another job. I also have to resign from my current job.

Budgie Level 8 June 15, 2020

When you get a bloody awful federal government (and that has been happening a lot lately), the state governments provide a useful buffer of sorts. But I agree it's far from ideal.

Coffeo Level 8 June 15, 2020

Interestingly the CES or Commonwealth Employment Service was set up to enable the national management of labour. As it became more and more apparent that government could not create the jobs needed to employ the people and that the sevice was easily identified as a single government cost it was obviously preferable to absolve Government from the responsibility by hiveing it off to private enterprise to add an additional cost called shareholder profit and as far as the labour view goes no one takes responsibility employers being ripped off through placement fees and of course labour being denied full wage because of the payment.

FrayedBear Level 9 June 15, 2020

Even John Howard has said that, were we able to design govt for Australia without our history, it would be better not to have states and state governments. I agree entirely, but it will never happen. The states are so entrenched in the psyche of Australians at the political, cultural, sports and arts level that it will never happen. We have to live with all the problems of having states and a fed govt.

Doubting Level 6 June 14, 2020

But we do NOT have to continue to live with the decrepit parochial system at all, We CAN change it and for the better as well.
We can still retain the system of Sports, i.e. AFL, NRL, etc, since those systems, mainly, are City/Suburbs based anyway and does not the A.F.L., for example, mean Australian Football League just as the N.R. L. also means 'National Ruby League.'
Yes, Sheffield Shield Cricket is somewhat a State based Competition but it can remain the same BUT Culture, Politics, Arts, etc, are National and, in particular, Culture and Arts belong to the People and the Nation as a whole and NOT to just the IndividualStates or the Peoples of those States.

@Triphid I have a far less optimistic view. To change this we'd need major constitutional amendments. They'll never get up at a referendum.

@Doubting Nothing IS truly Impossible IF we set our minds and hearts to it.

My understanding is that the States are above the Commonwealth in the hierarchy. At any time theCommoneealth can be dissolved by any state leaving.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 8

Photos 150 More

Posted by 1patriotthey are creating a 15 Cities all along this coast in Australia

Posted by 1patriotthunder writes: I remember early in the pandemic when there was a protest outside the hospital (Toronto Canada).

Posted by vocaloldfart Is this the way of the future?

Posted by vocaloldfartIf you think times were tough under the LNP Mafiosa in the previous years, Give Dutton the disastrous destroyer the vote in the next election, and look foreward to worse to come.

Posted by vocaloldfartMichael Pascoe: And the award for the worst Liberal leader goes to… ?

Posted by vocaloldfartDingoes elevated to 'almost-human' status in pre-colonial Australia .

Posted by vocaloldfartVanadium batteries’ sustainable energy hailed as key to solar revolution Vanadium could be the answer to using solar and wind round the clock, silencing critics who say they’re useless when the...

Posted by FrayedBearThis amused me. How about you? "Don’t worry about the world coming to an end today. It is already tomorrow in Australia." Charles Shulz

Posted by FrayedBearNine chairman, and former Australian Treasurer, Peter Costello is now promoting war with China after making $millions lobbying for defence companies BY SHANE DOWLING ON MARCH 12, 2023

Posted by FrayedBearIt has taken since 1986 for the Australian Human Rights Commission to release papers & a suggested draft for incorporation into Australian law to protect all citizens.

Posted by FrayedBearIt has taken since 1986 for the Australian Human Rights Commission to release papers & a suggested draft for incorporation into Australian law to protect all citizens.

Posted by FrayedBearWhat a con - mRNA vaccinations?

Posted by FrayedBearWhy is the Murdoch media not widely reporting this apparent scandal that should prevent the NSW Premier being re-elected for a further 4 years?

Posted by vocaloldfartsign of the times

• Top tags#Australia #government #video #world #god #religious #hope #friends #laws #politicians #money #minister #religion #federal #media #reason #children #DonaldTrump #liberal #politics #community #rights #Police #Atheist #military #evidence #death #Christian #Jesus #China #hell #church #atheism #policy #USA #corruption #parents #youtube #truth #vote #book #religions #kids #dogs #justice #faith #agnostic #trolls #movies #population ...

Members 431Top