Agnostic.com

26 1

What are your thoughts on open relationships?

DragonsOwl 3 Oct 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I identify as Poly, but that does NOT mean that I'm without morals nor does that mean that I screw everything that slows down. All that mean is that I accept the fact that occasionally I find someone else attractive and may want to have a relationship with them. Unfortunately, a few of the partners that I have been with believe that even-though I have no problem with them dating other people, yet they find the need to do it behind my back. Cheating is cheating no matter if you are in a monogamous or poly type relationship.

Intelligent, honest down-to-earth. You remind me of this song by the Four Tops:

Ain't No Woman (Like the One I've Got)

Ain't No Woman like the one I've got
To make her happy doesn't take a lot.
She's a real good friend right to the end
(We're) So together like a hand in glove

So many different people in this world, all with different likes and dislikes. I think that people should seek out those of the same likes and if what ever works for them...works. As long as it does not involve kids and animals I am good. But consenting adults should be free to whatever behind closed doors. But all parties involved should be consenting. And i believe in honesty.

DeiP Level 5 Oct 14, 2017

I have been in both monogamous and open relationships and have found both can work. Both can also fail in the most spectacular ways...) It all depends on the people involved. Open relationships can be a great option for those who are bi or have a different level of sex drive than their primary partner. As other posts have noted, open and honest communication is essential is all relationships. I moved to another state three years ago, and I still miss some of the people with whom I had poly relationships.

I am very monogamous and so would not go this route myself. However, if both members of a couple honestly desire and support openness, I would not begrudge them that opportunity. The few couples I have known who tried it were not fully honest about it. One wanted multiple partners and the other did not, but "went along" to keep the other partner happy.

Zster Level 8 Oct 8, 2017

When I was young I would have said they don't work but, as I have gotten older I have changed my mind. I have come to realize that what is most important things in relationships are things like intimacy, affection, communication, companionship and trust and that sex with someone else that does not violate any of these is harmless to the relationship. Consent of the partner is a must and that consent has to be clear and not coerced in any manner or it will damage the relationship.

I'm polyamorous but that would be more the people in that group, triad, or whatever. As long as everyone who is in the relationship is aware what is happen and of whatever boundaries are there, that's their choice as consenting adults.

It may opinion that it can could more problem that it actual solves.

I respect when people know what they want in a relationship. I'm not sure how i feel about it, i guess its a discussion between partners to see how each other feel.

Tejas Level 8 Oct 8, 2017

First, I have attended Sex Addicts Anonymous. It made me realize that I had made sex my "higher power." Kinda tough, because I don't believe in the higher power everyone else goes to in a stressful situation.
But, yes, I'd love to be in one. I don't own my wife or any other woman. I am sure I would be jealous and worried at the beginning. (Is he better at sex than me? Bigger?) But since I am bi curious, I think it would work with the right woman.

i can see why people would want one, but not my thing

I tried it,It didn't work,I think it is a rough thing to pull off,especially if you have kids.

Treme Level 2 Oct 8, 2017

I think if you're referring to polyamory men are more prone to it than women. If people naturally evolve away from each other they should be free to rather than be attached for life.

SamL Level 7 Oct 8, 2017

They are a bit of work. And require constant open communication

If you're both happy then it's all that matters!

As long as all parties involved understand it, and if they at some point feel that jealousy and can end things, then go for it.

Monogamy isn't for everyone, and if you believe you can ha del participating in one, do what you feel is best to bring you happiness.

I don't think it would help make for a healthy relationship with your mate.

As far as I'm concerned, if both parties consent and are okay with it, then sure.

I come from a 22 marriage, and then another of 4 years. Today I meet woman of all shapes & ethics. If we click we hang if it's right we connect. I'm not looking for love I'm finding lovers. These encounters are deep and they've all lasted so far....

Honestly my favorite as long as everyone is open about it

Thank you no. My partner is mine. If they want someone else, then they don’t want me around.

I really enjoy a woman that appreciates oral sex !!

Ricky Level 3 Nov 11, 2017

Who but the people involved judge the "norm" they see consenting adults are free to partner and "play" with honesty to the significant other . . more to explain later

One cannot swing in a monogamous relationship. Men and most men who say are monogamous often have others or mistresses on the side. Why lie about it. Be open about it and don't make empty promises. On the other hand if you or your partner is extremely the jealous type. This will not work. Why do folks feel like they "own" their partner?

Jealousy causes so much trouble in the world. Forgiveness is a great attribute to have. We have been married 50 years and if we were the jealous type or could not forgive then we would most likely not be married today.

I think they’re fine, as long as there is clear communication between everyone about what they’re looking for.

I know people this has worked well for but it's definitely not for me. After my last relationship ended in deceit and betrayal by someone I had given my entire self to, Trusting someone else is difficult again. And I don't like sharing nor do I play well with others

It really takes the wind out of your sails !! One of the worst thing to experience in your life , total rejection !!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1003
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.