Agnostic.com

5 2

Moral Cultures

Do you think western society is enabling an Honour, a Dignity or a Victim moral culture? Is this a good trend?

The definitions below are quoted from the article in this link:
[skeptic.com]

The article is a book review written by Kevin McCaffree. Kevin McCaffree is assistant professor of sociology at Indiana-Purdue University (Ft. Wayne), where he teaches criminology and sociology of religion.

The book being reviewed is "The Rise of Victimhood Culture Microaggressions, Safe Spaces, and the New Culture Wars" by Bradley Campbell, Associate Professor of Sociology at California State University, and Jason Manning, Associate Professor of Sociology at West Virginia University.

• 0 votes
  • 7 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 2 votes
pixiedust 8 June 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The only "virtues" I see being expounded are: ignorance, greed, usery, and mindless hedonism.

I'd say all three, and more. "Honor" is a generally conservative ideal; dignity is more a liberal idea; victimhood is rampant on both sides really. Maybe for symmetry I'd use the term "endurance" rather than "victim". That leaves us with:

Honor: a virtue, but when overdone, leads to authoritarianism and callousness.

Dignity: a virtue, but when overdone, leads to being taken advantage of by the unvirtuous.

Endurance: a virtue, but when overdone, leads to the notion that suffering is ennobling and so desirable, necessary, and always able to be transcended by sheer personal grit or piety. Also allows you to be inured to the suffering of others, as well as to both to have the right to complain about and take pride in your own suffering.

Thank you for your thoughtful analysis and observations.

We’re the last warrior culture. We put out service men and women on a pedestal and think any war we fight is a good war, by default. Oh, and we’re always fighting for freedom.

Marz Level 7 June 6, 2018

We only seem to put them on pedestals when we need them to fight or they die while fighting. We seem to take them off quickly once they're injured and can no longer go to war.

Marz = Mars, the god of war?

Let me guess...

That article was written by a straight, white, cis gender Republican voting male?

Sounds like right wing garbage to me.

The article is a book review written by Kevin McCaffree. Kevin McCaffree is assistant professor of sociology at Indiana-Purdue University (Ft. Wayne), where he teaches criminology and sociology of religion.

The book being reviewed is "The Rise of Victimhood Culture Microaggressions, Safe Spaces, and the New Culture Wars" by Bradley Campbell, Associate Professor of Sociology at California State University, and Jason Manning, Associate Professor of Sociology at West Virginia University.

@pixiedust

I stand by my comment. His university credentials don't change that.

He has privilege. He's never been turned away from a cake shop or had his own kind lynched and now he's smirking about 'victimhood'.

@Ellatynemouth Oh, I wasn't expecting you to change your mind. I just thought you'd appreciate a some information to support your conclusion.

I think it is pretty much, and over-all, an 'every man for himself', amoral society.

There are definitely days when it seems like that.

@Fanburger Your opinion is noted as is mine.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:100530
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.