Agnostic.com

9 1

Should schools teach cursive handwriting?

Most schools no longer teach cursive to students.
In the age of technology, should we still be teaching this skill?
What do you think?

• 18 votes
  • 10 votes
  • 0 votes
silvereyes 8 Dec 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think it should stay. I know that I can write faster using cursive handwriting.

I used to think cursive was necessary and was emphatic that my daughter learn in elementary school even though it was very difficult for her. I finally accepted that she "writes" by printing and she's been quite successful in all her grades (5 AP classes included) by printing her notes so I don't think it impaired her. Even in elementary school, many of her classes required a laptop. I think the real impairment is students whose school doesn't have the money to provide them with digital equipment. More than cursive, that will be a necessary part of their future.

When needed, my daughter can read cursive, depending on the writer. Perhaps, like Latin, it can be taught to those students most likely to need it in the future.

Why? I can't read 99.9% of peoples signatures as it is. I sure the hell don't want to read a letter or even a note with such disgrace to writing as such.

Signatures aren't meant to be read, anymore than fingerprints. They're for identification. That's why you generally have to put your name in capital letters as well, when you sign documents.

Realistically how many students have ever had the need to read historical documents in the original cursive? I have a Master's with more additional college credits than a Medical doctor and I have never see (or read) an original historical document in cursive. In short, the likelihood of having to do that is so slight (and specialized) that logic dictates that it is not worth the time and effort to teach everyone how to do it. As for taking notes, that is not dependent upon learning cursive...despite being taught cursive, when I was in college I discovered I could not read my notes written in cursive so I switched to "printing". Furthermore, many of today's students are using electronic "tablets" and laptop computers to take notes. Cursive notes may work for some people talented in that method (mostly girls), but it sure did not work for me.

I remember all the upper and lower case letters permanently posted on a long banner above the chalkboard.

How else can they sign their name?

lerlo Level 8 Dec 23, 2017

@silvereyes Have you SEEN some of the people at Walmart?!
No way I'm sharing a tongue scanner with them! Urp.

A person only needs to learn to sign their name in cursive...which is not the same as teaching cursive in school. Its use (other than a signature), is obsolete.

@silvereyes I grew up in the generation that saw Orwell's 1984 come true. With the currently increasing tech theft, I would never agree to fingerprints on file.

My point exactly.

No... printing and computers should be good enough...

Yes, if they plan to complete the college entrance exam called the ACT. I have the opportunity annually to administer this test. Students are required to rewrite a prompt in cursive and sign their names in cursive. Cursive is beautiful when "neatly" done. But mostly it looks like chicken scratch.

I hate cursive but yes they should

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10059
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.