Agnostic.com

11 15

I love this man! I normally wouldn’t agree with nobody to go to Hell, but I’d take in consideration for all the sick f***ks who has ever taught this hideous place to a small child.

EmeraldJewel 7 Dec 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My parents taught me about Hell and I think that played a great part in me becoming an alcoholic. But I don't demonize them for it. They were just passing along what they had been taught. They would have felt remiss if they hadn't. They were just as much a victim as I was. I don't play the blame game. I do not feel proud of my skepticism, but rather, grateful. I look to the future and ask what I might do to be the catalyst in someone else's life, to help in their awakening.

It’s good you don’t demonize them for it. Religion obviously played a part to how they thought, due to what they were taught.

Controlling through fear is the act of totalitarianism. But,that's religion for you. They don't want cognitive understanding. They want mindless puppets.

To introduce the notion of hell and eternal damnation in the minds of children and adults is nothing other than a prison for the mind that is advocated by those who like to instil fear and control others.

He's awesome.

Yes. I recently just bought one of his books and I love it!!!

Which one?

@Sarahroo29 The God Delusion, but I plan to purchase more of his work.

I have that one.

@Sarahroo29 I’m really enjoying it so far.

I disagree. I think it’s important to provide alternative points of view. Otherwise, you’re doing exactly what the dogmatists are doing, just in reverse.

I respect your opinion, but showing children under the age of 5 videos of hell, allowing them to see plays with Hell then telling them that’s where they will go when they die is horrific.

So is telling them that their parents are deluded psycopaths by showing them fictional portrayals of hell. Maybe a reasonable education is more open n order.

@Gatovicolo No. letting them them about Hell after they get to a certain age and breaking it down to them that this place isn’t real is better off, instead of showing them garbage when they are that small when they don’t have full understanding about things and allowing them to think it is real.

I disagree again. At that young of an age, they wouldn’t understand the significance. It’s tantamount to showing them a scary movie.

@Gatovicolo keep disagreeing. Age such as 13 or 12 I think would be a decent age to show them how some of the people of the world believe. That’s the only way they can truly learn to think critical. If I had it my way, I would not teach at all about that man made horrid place, but since sadly this religion has become apart of our culture, I’d feel I would not have any other choices but to share with them about it, but also teach about other religions as well, not just Christianity and I would also teach them to question everything.

My mother, a very kind, educated and intelligent person, once said to me that she thought that the idea of eternal damnation was the worst thing that the human mind ever came up with.

Absolutely. No question about it.

The concept of heaven and hell, as opposed to the house of God, only dates back to the 2nd century. The idea behind it was to create a carrot and stick model of reward and punishment in the afterlife, for the purposes of political control over the people. It is on some level a little bit clever, in as much as it is predicated on the notion that all of your behaviours are observed by an unseen god and you can get away with nothing. As a concept it has one advantage over the previous system in which reward and punishment took place in this life, specifically it reduced the necessity for the death penalty over minor infractions, since now is possible to be punished after death. As a means of controlling behaviour it does however have one significant drawback, in order for the heaven and hell hypothesis to work in reforming criminal activities, the concept of forgiveness through repentance is a necessary component, and therein lies the rub. Because you can be forgiven by repenting, it is possible for the devout criminal to imagine that he or she holds some form of divine get out of jail free card, since even minor punishment here on earth can wash their Souls clean. Therefore, since they can be absolved through repentance, they imagine they can look forward to an eternity of pleasure in heaven despite their crimes as a result of earthly incarceration and repentance. Thus the inspiration for being good for its own sake, for being good to create a better Society for ones children and grandchildren here on Earth, and of genuine fear of earthly incarceration is lost. This is precisely why over 95% of the prison population is religious, it is also why atheists make up less than one half of 1% of the prison population.

very good comment, thanks for posting.

I'm so glad that my parents, though religious, never really believed in hell or the devil.

That’s a wonderful thing!

Yea, he's the shit. Gotta keep those kids brainwashed. Its child abuse.

Totally agree

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10193
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.