Agnostic.com

6 1

What do you think about incest

I think just about every religion has stated incest is not good just curious to hear people's opinions who don't go by religion to determine what they feel is right and wrong. I used to think incest was really bad or a sin but by looking at the studies I believe it's a myth that incest have a high defect rate when the child is born. according to what I've read it's only a 4% chance more it's actually relatively low. so if it's a myth that the birth defect is going to be high then is it really so wrong obviously there are laws that made this illegal but should this be reconsidered?

DavidDeLa89 6 Dec 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If you live in rural Alabama I bet it's pretty common. And maybe in the white house.

Incest is wrong... socially, morally... and biologically. That there are such prevalent incest taboos; including animals other than humans btw, points out the negative issues w/ this practice. To restate, incest is illegal for several good reasons; for reproductive reasons as too much (close) inbreeding expresses undesirable genetic traits. A celebrated example is the incidence of hemophilia in some European royalty lines.

Incest is amoral. Perpetrators are immoral. Repetitive inbreeding brings defects to the forefront (biology majors?). However incest is not about breeding. Like rape, it's about power. If we had a #metoo movement for incest victims, the numbers (and identity of perpetrators) would sicken the moral population.

First of all: Ewwww, yuck! I would personally have difficulty in thinking about any of my siblings that way.
Secondly: since it is already frowned upon, children of incestuous relationships will be ostracized for having sibling parents. As far as making incest commonplace and legal, if we lived in a world like that, (like Game of Thrones) I still think that the risk is too high for the children. Especially if those children also continue to procreate within the family.

lol. i think its sick too. but since we don't let the bible dictate what is right and wrong and actually use logical reasoning for determining what we think is right and wrong and not just well this is sick so we should outlaw it i thought it was a interestig topic . thank you for your input 🙂

As I've said on a similar topic, kids deserve to be raised an environment without sexual grooming behaviour from their parents and older siblings. The real issue with incest isn't so much genetic diversity, it's more the idea of a mother or father raising their child to believe that it's expected and normal for them to have sex with their parents as soon as they're old enough.

This is something that should be considered when incest is prosecuted. I don't think it should be, unless there's evidence that one party is a victim of the other and either they haven't consented (in which case, it's rape/sexual assault anyway) or they have been brainwashed into consenting. This clearly doesn't apply when two people meet, begin a relationship, and later discover that they're related. The only real argument against that is the genetic diversity one, and if that's as easily debunked as you say it is, then perhaps there's no issue at all.

its a weird topic i know lol. and its sick imo . but just because its gross in manys opinions doesnt mean it should be outlawed . so ya infact if theres low risk of defects i don't see why not .

Having sex, raising a child and having a biological offspring are very different things. One need not have to raise their own biological offspring. In a rational world, offsprings will be planned so as to have best genetic outcome. This would not just avoid the risk posed by incest but would also biologically improve the species. One may have sex with their siblings and raise these planned children with them without any biological risk.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10212
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.