Agnostic.com

3 3

Scientific Knowledge, Belief, and Faith

I personally understand gravity and EM being a physicist. I've studied them, know their applicability, where they work, where they don't. I know the equations, how to solve them, what the problems are. I've done the experiments, gotten "my hands dirty" with circuits and astronomical calculations.
Thus I feel I am justified in saying I don't believe in those concepts because I've actually worked with them hands on. I feel very justified in saying I know gravity and EM

I would not say the same thing about evolution.

I have not worked with it, I'm not familiar with the equations or taxonomy. I don't know where it is applicable, where it is not. I have no experimented with it nor have "gotten my hands dirty" working with it. I feel justified in saying I believe in it because other scientists, whom I trust and respect, say that it works. They purportedly used similar scientific methods, similar math, similar methodology for me to know gravity and EM and thus I''m justified that what they say is true. I would NOT however go as far as saying that I know evolution but would only go so far as to say I believe in evolution.

And there is the third viewpoint. Someone who has not worked with gravity, EM, or evolution. Someone that doesn't have any experience with the scientific method, doing experiments in any of these fields, has never worked on the equations, has never "gotten their hand dirty" doing science. I would say it's inaccurate to claim that that person believes in those fields because they have no basis to form that belief. Even more inaccurate would be to say that they know those subjects. Rather, I would say that person has faith in gravity, EM, and evolution, has faith that those fields do what they are told (but haven't worked out for themselves) because they are trusting what scientists tell them but have no personal evidence to support that trust and no realistic way to understand or challenge said scientists on what they say.

So in my viewpoint, unless you work in the field and have gotten your hands dirty, worked the equations, done the experiments, played with the concepts, then the most you can do is have faith in what others are telling you for you do not know. And if you have experience in one field of science, if you know one field of science, you can believe what other scientists are telling you for you have evidence that their methods work in your field and thus can justifiably claim that that same methodology works in other fields.

You should not make the mistake of conflating religious knowledge, belief, or faith with scientific knowledge, belief, or faith. That is part of the NOM philosophy. Just because these words have religious connotations DOES NOT make them uniquely religious. And realizing whether your support of science comes as knowledge, belief, or faith makes you better equipped to judge science and it's results. For if you know, you can be trusted that the ideas of science you promote are based on actual science; if you believe less so, you can be trusted that because you know one field you can comment on another; but if you have faith, you cannot be trusted to be an effective communicator of science.

TheMiddleWay 8 June 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Very interesting ... Do you ever take out your rubbish, trash ot garbage whichever expression you might employ to describe refuse? The learned man that you are must therefore know what garbage is, must he not?
I have been a garbo (Australian term for a rubbish collector) for over 3 decades. I certainly did get my hands dirty. I even claim to have at least working knowledge of gravity. Though I do concede that our respective definitions of black holes might not at all describe the same dark places. In your black holes there might even be light which just cannot be seen from the outside because even photons cannot escape. My black holes even allow slow aromatic compounds to escape an spread their nauseous stench. I have no knowledge of chemistry but I know when something stinks. Though I am ignorant as far as the bio-chemical processes are concerned, I know when something stinks. I can also differnteate between odours that are emanating from solvents or hydrocarbons.
Having lived with people from a variety of ethnic backgrounds I had to learn that there are indeed distinct body odours between such groups. I must confess that I thought that this was merely a racist idea. Only personal exposure taught me that there is truth to it.
For me true knowledge is something I have experienced.
But back to my professional background as garbo. Even after 30 years I still don't really know what garbage really is, idem for weeds.

The trouble with 'faith' is it's a loaded word when having a conversation with a theist and is used as a common attack (EDIT: and disingenuous derailing tactic) in many of the debates I've watched.

I prefer 'accept' — I accept evolution as true because I have looked at the information that presented on it and it explains everything I need to understand about speciation within the natural framework that I see all around me, comports with everything else I understand to be true about the Universe, and does so without any holes or need for apologetics. It's therefore overwhelmingly more acceptable than the supernatural alternative which falls to pieces the moment one starts questioning it.

No need to go anywhere near the F word... Same thing for gravity, heliocentric solar systems, biology, geology, chemistry or even the idea that Australia exists.

That was a nice read while I was getting ready. I enjoyed it! 🙂 Tooootally... true, but you miiight piss someone off again. hahaha oh i love it! the only ones secretly thinking, "so im supposed to Do and Prove the science to claim I Know is true?" Most are armchair scientists, at best, soo... a chipped shoulder or two may secretly have a bitter taste in their mouths upon reading this, equally. heee heee hee... thats why I Like It! 😀

Sadoi Level 7 June 9, 2018

@TheMiddleWay HAHAHA Butt Hurt!! LMAOOO

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:102947
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.