Agnostic.com

10 1

Should recreatinal drug use be legalized?

I have an AA in addiction studies and a BA in Sociology. I am more curious as to what others think about this, than I am interested in stating my own views. Other than saying that historically, most laws making drugs illegal were not motivated by public health concerns, but rather as a way to discriminate against minorities. [huffingtonpost.com]

• 0 votes
  • 12 votes
  • 17 votes
  • 2 votes
snytiger6 9 Dec 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wanted to vote for:: "Legalize, deregulate, untaxed."

a vague poll you signed out marijuana but kept the term recreational drugs. without defining what that means.

johns Level 4 Dec 25, 2017

most of it is bad because of the crap mixed with it by dealers so make it legal and lose the dealers.

Yew. Making it legal and highly regulated, would greatly reduce overdoses and inadvertent poisonings from the crap the y cut the drugs with. People would know what they are buying is actually what the seller says it is, and well regulated also means they will get an accurate dosage.

well, let's face it a shit load needs to change more than drug dealing. anyway when things are legal people can still be drug dealers like in chemists. when its illegal no one apart from maybe the last seller gives a fuck. you're never going to please everyone. people sell booze with no health warning or laws apart from age. I just finished a book about a Victorian hangman called Berry. he never hung a criminal that was not a drinker. look at the shit booze causes or guns in America.

Make marijuana legal recreationally in NH. MA, and VT have .

I am for legalizing all of it and helping those who have problems with it.

I think legalization would only make things better if drugs are highly regulated and taxed. Regulated to insure safety and known dosage. Taxed to help pay for the costs of rehab.

I think if drugs were legal, then the government shoudl encourage the development of recreational drugs which are not (at least physically) addictive. I do not believe psycholigcal addictions could be avoided.

Both medicinal and recreational marijuana is legal in WA. It has brought on some issues but seems to be working.

Pot is legal now here in Canada and so far everything seems to be going OK.

Hmm ... My own thoughts are rather more complex than any of these 4 options.

It's a complicated issue. I expect a vast difference in ideas and views, which may help some readers get a slightly better handle on all the issues involved by beign introduced to new ideas.

There continues to be many articles pointing out how effective Portugal has been in addressing its drug problems. Meanwhile, the US failed miserably in creating yet another "war" of it. I will say that walking through Lisbon was a bit annoying as a tourist. If you are not prepared for it, it's a bit unsettling to be hounded to buy cocaine walking outside of popular restaurants.

Source:
forgo Level 4 Dec 24, 2017

I was last in Lisboa and Coimbra University back in college. Back then they smoked weed and hashish-no coke. 40 yrs ago LOL.

In the U.S., whether or nto peopel realize it, our policies are always geared towards making profits more than they are geared towards improving life quality of dealing with problems. When thee is a problem the American right wing doesn't want to solve the problem so much as figure out how they can make money off of the problem, and keep the problem in place so they keep making money off of it.

The "war on drugs" was not really geared to stop drug traffic, so much as it was to be sure that the privatized prison system made huge profits. End the drug problem and those profits go away. So, the fiht wing has no interest in really actually ending he drug problem. Private prisons are big political contributors to the right wing.

It would appear that in today's political climate #2 would be much more achievable than #3. Maybe work on it first and then down the road a few years, convince people of #3.

gearl Level 8 Dec 24, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10306
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.