Agnostic.com

11 2

Principles or rules

If we could get everyone in the world to agree follow either a set of principles or a set of rules, which do you believe has greater potential for making the world a better place?

Off the top of my head I can imagine people disagreeing on what decisions would fall under what principle, or perhaps applying a principle in a way that isn’t beneficial. And I can't imagine we'd ever have rules for any possible situation. I recognize that both have advantages and disadvantages.

Again, if we could only choose one, I’d like to know which you believe is more effective and why.

• 31 votes
  • 4 votes
zing 6 June 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well thought out principles make good rules and good laws.

Rules, in my mind are created for the purpose of controlling people. Principles, on the other hand, are more in the nature of an internal belief system that guides our behavior. That's the problem I have with religion. Following a set of rules and commands doesn't make you a good person, it just makes you obedient.

Rules are too black and white and don't allow for ethical reasoning to handle "gray areas". For example, "don't lie" is a rule that SHOULD be broken if doing so is more ethical, like if the SS is asking you if there are Jews hiding in your attic.

rules are often made not based on principles

Hi, Zing,

You earn website points, and help other members get to know you better, when you write an informational profile that includes your hobbies and interests, and answer all the profile questions, since that's the first place many people look when they see a new member.

Also, the website uses your profile to find member matches, so the more details you include, the better the match.

Then you make comments and write your own posts to earn more points and privileges; for instance, at level two you can private email people. You get different perks with each level, and when you reach level eight you get an agnostic T-shirt.

To find members near you, click on the "Meet" button at the top of the page, then on "Members," and enter your preferred search parameters.
Or click on the "About" button at the top of the page to find links to FAQ or the website tutorial.
Click on the 'Meet" button to find member matches

Links to FAQ: [agnostic.com],
and a website tutorial: [agnostic.com]

Rules were meant to be broken.

Principles rules.

godef Level 7 June 10, 2018

I don't think it matters. People aren't going to agree on anything.

Principals, and teach people the reasoning behind them. It's a similar distinction between ethics, and morals.

I had a course in ethics in university, and the teacher said that while in the common language they are considered distinct, in academia morals and ethics are synonyms; they are simply the Latin and the Greek words to describe the same reality.

Common usage at the current time rather strongly implies a religious basis for morals, while not for ethics.

Principles make people thing, while rules make people obey. I think that, here, most people will favor the former.

MarcO Level 5 June 10, 2018

Ditto

That is an excellent point.

Concur

Principles are more moral than rules.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:103408
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.