Agnostic.com

8 2

Comfortable ignorance or painful truth?

The pain of life is to know life has an expiration date.
Some day all of you other than your contributions to lifes' evolution will cease to exist.

Choosing to believe that something else will be can relieve this pain if only you choose ignorance in place on intelligence.

x0lineage0x 6 June 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is really complicated. 80% of the world is religous for a reason. I think that most people cannot rationalize not seeing there loved ones again and need a comforting story to soothe their fears.
If everybody knew the truth instantly that life is finite without some sort of good social construct to replace , most people are too lazy to come to a good understanding of morality quickly and chaos and destruction would insue. I think there is something to be said for just going through life without thinking to . If i was able i would.

I don't feel any pain around the knowledge that my life has an expiration date. If anything, it's a comfort to me. Endpoints make things tolerable.

A lot of existential angst, in my view, is predicated on deeply-entrenched cultural tropes about mortality and death as implacable enemies, as intolerable realities. When you learn to see death as simply part of life, and really accept your finite mortal existence for what it is, you learn to live within your true scope and quit longing for things that aren't for you to begin with. Wanting to be immortal is like a flea wanting to be a college professor or a toad wanting opposable thumbs.

Religious faith is in many ways just a formalized system around our fear and loathing over death, and encourages us to reject simple reality in favor of magical thinking and impertinent aspirations.

Not necessarily...death could be a welcome release from pain & illness!

Sure, but so would a cure for the ailment.

@x0lineage0x you have never had a truly serious illness, have you....

@AnneWimsey
If that assumption were made it would be incorrect, but the fact remains that if a problem had you welcoming death, a better solution may be to solve the problem.

I don't want to live for ever

I totally want to live for ever. I have so much to do. I'll never fit it all in. I am hoping if I manage another 30 years they will have extended human life span long enough for me to have a good go...if not theres nothing else for it, I'll have to come back 😉

@Amisja
Re-incarnated, like Washington ? He came back as a monument !

@VAL3941 I'd prefer to be a real girl

@Amisja
Didn't know you could put a preference in reincarnation ?

@VAL3941 Ok well I am requesting Stephen Hawking's brain, a bod like Serena Williams, confidence and gravitas of Angela Merkel and the bravery of Malia..that'll do.

@Amisja
You left out " the career of Stormy Daniels " LOL

@Amisja I would not have a problem with biological immortality. Options are nice to have. But that wouldn't change the human condition as fundamentally as people think it would. It would just be different tradeoffs. There'd still be "death by misadventure" and so it'd still be a nonzero possibility of dying on any given day, just like now. You'd still have the option to stop having new experiences anytime you want, just like now.

@mordant Its the old life in your years and not years in your life. I made a deliberate effort to grasp every opportunity that came my way. It means I have made lots of mistakes, some sucesses but I have had fun...lots of it to come

@Amisja I'm with you on this one Amisja, I would like to have longer lifespan, if not necessarily live forever, but have a longer lifespan than what I have now. I want to see what other wonders science is going to come up with and have more time to me to learn about the things that interest me. 80 or so year to one life is not long enough to see the world today, to see a possible human landing on Mars, etc.

@VAL3941 Certainly not

@Georgy303 While I'm unperturbed by my mortality, I agree that more control over the timing and manner of my death would be welcome. I am curious to see what happens with various human enterprises and trends.

I have some doubts that our minds would be well adapted to very long life -- I am unsure how one would maintain any sense of novelty beyond a certain point -- but that seems like it's be a good 500 years out because there's so much to experience and observe -- assuming that one is sufficiently curious.

@Amisja
Just pulling your chain ! LOL

I want to live as long as I like.

Painful truth. Suffering is a different thing.

What is your point?

I believe in my self, is that bad ?

That's the best, VAL!

@Geoffrey51
Thank you ! Usually is as a back stop ! LOL

What is your point?

@x0lineage0x
No, what was yours ? At least I believe in something importang !

Hi, Lineage, and welcome to the website,

You earn website points, and help other members get to know you better, when you write an informational profile that includes your hobbies and interests, and answer all the profile questions, since that's the first place many people look when they see a new member.

Also, the website uses your profile to find member matches, so the more details you include, the better the match.

Then you make comments and write your own posts to earn more points and privileges; for instance, at level two you can private email people. You get different perks with each level, and when you reach level eight you get an agnostic T-shirt.

To find members near you, click on the "Meet" button at the top of the page, then on "Members," and enter your preferred search parameters.
Or click on the "About" button at the top of the page to find links to FAQ or the website tutorial.
Click on the 'Meet" button to find member matches

Links to FAQ: [agnostic.com],
and a website tutorial: [agnostic.com]

Why post this here????

Because there was no profile or profile questions. I feel uneasy talking to people when I can't see their profile-they could be anybody. I've already encountered at least two fake people here who were private messaging me, who not only wouldn't fill them out, when asked, they refused. Time to block them.

i like truth.

The truth is.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:103538
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.