Agnostic.com

9 2

Is the second amendment an antique?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

OKAY! What the hell is wrong with this thing? ONE WORD.

"In this sense, any group of private citizens with military-style weaponry and training can self-apply the term militia. Such groups, in and of themselves, are not illegal. But they become the target of law enforcement for engaging in other illegal activity like firearms violations, tax evasion, or threats of violence."

In essence, a militia is not illegal BUT the language of the second amendment reflects the idea that an army is beyond the scope of national defense and part of the empire we fought in the revolutionary war.

This word, "militia" is antique and our defense does not come out of the citizenry anymore so flick that word and rewrite the second amendment. I'm not saying, "scrap it" although it needs to be readdressed in a thoughtful way to leave gun nuts their right to "have arms" and not "bear them".

We needed guns in 18th and 19th century North America for defense and for eating. I mean, you have to shoot your cabbage and grow deer.

rabbibubba 5 Dec 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just because some misguided politicians made it legal to open carry, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

So know the 2nd amendment is not antiquated it just needs far more regulations to make it more robust.

johns Level 4 Jan 20, 2018

No I don’t think the second amendment is an antique. Without it I imagine idiots like Obama would control all of them! Without the 2nd amendment I’m sure we’d have no rights when it comes to self Defense or concealed carry laws.

I heard someone say once that the 2nd amendment worked quite well when the only arms which existed couldn't fire more than 2 or 6 bullets before you had to stop and reload.

I think firearms are such an ingrained part of American culture and are so prolific that an attempt to go gun free like most of Europe is impractical. That being said, guns in the 1700s were dramatically less powerful than today's, and I see no legitimate reason for a civilian to have a weapon that can fire 20 times without reloading.

Today's interpretation of the 2nd amendment is an abomination. Three will always be a need for a WELL-REGULATED state militia, and a need for shotguns and rifles in small towns and rural areas for hunting for food, getting rid of dangerous or destructive animals, and for limited self protection. I grew up in a poor family in a rural area and hunting did really help in supplying protein. I also shot destructive animals, including rattlesnakes, rabid dogs, and animals killing our chickens.

Still, I see absolutely no need for private ownership of assault weapons, automatic guns of any sort, semi-automatic guns. or pistols of any sort as those weapons' sole purpose is killing people. I am also totally opposed to either concealed carry law and open-carry laws.

So, sir, I disagree with you on getting rid of the 2wnd amendment, but want interpretation of it to be sane and rational -- not what it is today. I am in total agreement with your sentiment of the insane danger of the arming of our society.

Still, I think you are focusing on the wrong thing. I repeat: We need to ban private access to all automatic and semi=automatic guns of all sorts and of all pistols (as those are the real threats to public safety) and to repeal both open carry and concealed carry laws

@Nilkin67 Australia's recent experience proves otherwise. How can you discount that?

We had no standing army at the time, so the only defense was from well-regulated state militias. To me, it seems like it could have easily been written: "until we have a standing army and a well-regulated militia is no longer necessary to the security of a free state..."

They wouldn't have written it that way because they found the notion of a standing army abhorrent. That was one of the few things the Federalists and Anti-Federalists agreed on.

That doesn't change the fact that the reason the "right to bear arms" was written is because well-regulated state militias were our national defense. And that is no longer the case.

Very Antique and totally out of step with our Reality.

well the guns that were around then are

what was meant in that language by the word militia meant military. and we have them their called the national guard. it doesn't mean me and my friend can go and buy m16 and patrol my street.

johns Level 4 Dec 25, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10396
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.