Agnostic.com

8 3

Does anybody else find the Amish way of life interesting?

I’ve always thought the Amish way of life was actually pretty cool. I can do without the religion part, though. I have to give them respect to be able to live like that because I could never live like that lol. I do enjoy reading some Amish books and enjoy watching Amish movies as well for entertainment. Breaking Amish is a pretty good show. What do you think of the Amish way of life?

EmeraldJewel 7 Dec 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

who would watch my TV?

Ha that’s a good question.

I've seen some Amish people at Wal-Mart.

They seem like ok people, but I just could never live like them.

Me neither.

no but i have watched the film kingpin which is really funny

What do you call an Amish guy with his hand up a horses ass? ~ A mechanic!

Lmfao!

It's interesting, especially when you consider that the implication of their beliefs is that their particular god was clearly okay with technology when it was tools and structures, but less so with the advent of electricity.
I don't really mind them, since they don't proselytize much, if at all, though I don't know enough about them to know if I approve of their culture in other regards.

I don't know enough about the Amish way of life to have a proper opinion about it. I like the notion that salvation isn't a guaranteed right and that it has to be earned. I also like that they don't have to go around telling everybody how God is great. They just live their life in their way, disconnected from the outside world happy as they are. While I am not religious myself, they live the way that they want to and they should not be condemned for that.

As for living the way they do, I guess I could enjoy it for a while. I'm not completely reliant on technology, however it would mean that I could not know who The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Michael Jackson and Elton John are. I wouldn't be able to deal with people outside of my community because I wouldn't understand any cultural references. But if I was born into that life I guess I'd just cope.

Sorry for the long post. I wish I was more educated about the lifestyle, but i wish that of every group within each religion, because I want to be as sensitive and respectful as I can to their way of life, even if I hold a completely polar view.

Barry

We have a fairly good sized Amish community near here, I sometimes see the women shopping at the grocery store wearing their ultra-conservative dresses and bonnets.

Some stores here sell Amish made stuff, but I wouldn't want to live like they do.

I work in the tech telecommunication industry so I'm going to say no. but clearly I'm biased.

johns Level 4 Dec 25, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10418
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.