Agnostic.com

7 0

Bleep words

What do you think children should be taught to think when they hear curse words or swear words or racial slurs...anything that might be bleeped on tv (but not necessarily hate speech), and should children have the same freedom to say what they want that adults have?

zing 6 June 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When my nephew Doug was 10 he started swearing a lot. So my brother (his dad) invited him and all his friends to the sweet shop, On the way there and back he constantly swore like a sailor. Doug was bright red with embarrassment. Then after his friends had left his dad asked why he was so embarrassed. "You were swearing so much" he said. "Well thats what its like for us when you do it" He stopped swearing in front of adults.

My children were taught that swear words were for adults & not kids. They were also taught that racial slurs were for no one to use & not allowed in my house. When my sister & her brood visited & tried to speak in my house the way they spoke at home, there bigoted asses got booted out my house at 7pm at night, 5 hours from their home with the message I didn't care where they stayed but their disrespectful asses were not staying at my house.

My kids were also taught not to use words they were not willing to define for their grandmother. Saved me from having to hear them call each other "dildo" as a jibe.

Children will speak as they are taught. Young children learn from their parents and siblings. Use the sort of language you want them to use. They will learn by your example not your rules

I realize children learn from their parents. I'm asking your opinion on how children should be taught when it comes to A) how they should feel when they hear the sort of language we bleep on tv, and B) whether they should be allowed to use those words in the same way they use all other words.

You shouldn't hide swear words from children in real life but you should explain that until there adults you call the shots and are responsible for there actions. I was brought up with no bleeps on tv as people made an effort more back then not to swear.its difficult but some things and the context of why there being said or done should be kept away from them. they have enough to take on in there expanding minds.

Yes.

A childhood is a precious and temporary phase of life. Children should not be rushed through it. Children need to be protected from adult responsibilities and the vulgarities of the adult world. So, I hate it when I hear a child swear or an adult swear around a child who will repeat what they hear.

IF i had a kid...i'd just tell them it's something they ought not to be saying. i actually know a guy that does NOT cuss!! or DRINK!! so i don't cuss around him anymore. but i did call somebody a 'fucking asshole' today

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:104309
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.