Agnostic.com

6 1

Atheist vs Buddhism

I am an atheist who is inspired by philophy of Buddhism such as the seven chakras.Myquestion is can we say Buddhism is 100% a religion?

delilah 5 June 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's an atheistic religion, so knock yourself out if you want.

There are others -- Taoism, atheist Friends (Quaker sect), etc. As well as the Unitarian Universalists, a post-Christian, non-creedal church-like organization that accepts atheists and agnostics as well as all religious persuasions.

A religion usually has one or more deities, but it doesn't have to. Mostly it just needs dogma and/or a holy book, a priest class, preferably with funny robes and/or hats, and rituals and traditions, perhaps rules about how to live and think "correctly".

Labeling something a "religion" is kind of like a list of 10 symptoms of which you must exhibit at least six of them to be considered sick with a particular disease. Same general concept.

I can’t remember who said this, but Buddhism is something to do, not something to believe.

@Hebert54 People who practice Buddhism can still be assholes. The point being is that you cannot draw a straight line from anything in Buddhist texts to killing of others.

@Hebert54 absolutely, but actions can be independent of scriptures, which was the point I was trying to make. Also, while I would agree that the metaphysical claims of Buddhism are unfalsifiable (or as you would put it, bullshit), the practices they promote are actually quite beneficial, and the neuroscientific research being done to study it is showing, empirically, that they are beneficial in many ways. You should check it out, I assure you this is not “bullshit” 🙂

No definitely not a religion - just a way of living morally.

jacpod Level 8 June 11, 2018

Buddhism is not just one thing. There are lots of sects that believe different things.
And experts don’t agree on exactly what constitutes a religion. The Dalai Lama is a strong supporter of science, and meets regularly with scientists to help further understanding between the two communities. Religions have to be judged individually, maybe even down to the individual practitioner. There is nothing inherent in the concept of religion that requires a belief in superstition.

skado Level 9 June 11, 2018

Very true, Pureland Buddhism is a lot closer to a normal religion.

Buddhism is usually classified as a religion, but it is different in a lot of ways from the standard. There is no god, no devil, no single bible, no belief in a soul, no opposition to science. The short answer is: you can debate it either way.

Denker Level 7 June 11, 2018

No. Most of the religious aspects of Buddhism were added after the fact,just like most of the supernatural aspects (miracle stories) of the story of Jesus were added after the fact.

I see Buddhism as more of a philosophical way of living one's life.

Yessss!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:104653
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.