Agnostic.com

5 0

MERRY CHRISTMAS. Christ Mass?

What the heck is mass? And what relation does it have with energy? E = MC squared? And what does all this have to do with a Jewish Zombie? btw I'm not catholic.

TommyMeador 7 Dec 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Mass is what remains constant no matter what my weight is on the planet I’m visiting.

No clue, but my last name is Christmas. The "And I'm an atheist!" makes a quality punchline at the DMV, stores when I run my credit card, etc.

Makes people cross. Can't nail down exactly why.

Mass is the ritual service that Catholics go to. Remember, Catholic orthodoxy was the only Christian one for 1,500 years before Martin Luther came along and started the reformation.

I have used the word "Christmass" with protestants because it pisses them off to have their holiday associated with the dreaded Catholics. The Christians can't seem to understand there is no unifying dogma on their 'faith'. If we are a 'Christian nation' which one is it: Catholic, Baptist, Mormonism and on and on. I especially find the Judaeo-Christian term insane. This nation is full of anti-Semites and are trying to show a link which is simply not there. Also, cultural Jews is one of the largest non-theistic groups in the world.

I was (clumsily) trying to make a joke. OH Well !

@TommyMeador Some people say Merry Christmess.
There is a Canadian show I really enjoy. It's called "Corner Gas". A holiday episode said Merry Gasmas - it was pretty funny in a the Red, Green Show way.

But Christ was created from the Judeo religion to settle people down to a spiritual hope and stop trying to overthrow the Romans. What it has become is laughable in its dichotomy to what the Hebrews believed. No wonder they're atheists now.

@GoldenMean I respectfully disagree. Christ lived and was and remained Jewish. Later people used some things from his followers to create a new religion. From day one there was infighting and violence. When Constantine took the center of the Roman empire to Constantinople he also saw the divisiveness of religion and said all religions were equal (he may have joined the Christian ideas but also practiced other religions including paganism. The "hope" was only a ruse to get people to join (kind of like the Jim Jones and the People's Temple) and then take control. Nothing has changed with religions of today. It's all about control.

Google can be dangerous. From the last trumpet ministries: The World Book Encyclopedia defines "Christmas" as follows: "The word Christmas comes from "Cristes Maesse", an early English phrase that means "Mass of Christ." (1) It is interesting to note that the word "Mass", as used by the Roman Catholics, has traditionally been rejected by the so-called Protestants, such as Lutherans, Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, Pentecostals and so on. The word "Mass" is strictly a Catholic word and thus, so is "Christ-Mass." the word "Mass" in religious usage means a "death sacrifice." The impact of this fact is horrifying and shocking; for when the millions of people are saying, "Merry Christmas", they are literally saying "Merry death of Christ!" There is so much more following and makes me glad to be out of that culture.

I was (clumsily) trying to make a joke. OH Well !

That's OK, I tend to be a literalist.

I think it was originally "mess" as in "what a mess religion is" but got lost in transitional somewhere.

godef Level 7 Dec 25, 2017

It was not before but has become so. Try saying that to 'well wishers'. Try to announciat the last part and see if anyone is paying attention.

Just for fun when people ask how I am doing I sometimes say "terrible". Often they say "good"......then "what"?

@JackPedigo - after a monster double-take? 8D

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10486
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.