Agnostic.com

11 3

If you are standing in a long hall and a ball is bouncing down the hall with unforseen momentum behind you, do you let it pass or pick it up?

I thought of this question when reading a friend's post on fbk which he claims "varies inconsequently" on a briefing of Dan Brown's book, Origins. He retells the story by extending it to life's big questions about religion and existence and lessons learned. The story finds the man in the hall watching the ball passing him. He doesn't know from where the beginning is but also from what I gather, doesn't interfere. The post related his own walk through life with God and lessons learned. I, however, thought differently.

Personally, I would stop the ball, pick it up and move forward tossing it up or bouncing it at my leisure, because I can, and I am the one controlling it (meaning my life and decisions). Of course that is, if in fact I CAN stop the ball. 😉

What say you? I have not read Origins by Dan Brown

MyLiege 7 June 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why are you so mean? Kick it back in the direction of the kid that just lost it. Put it back in play so their game can go on.

Perspective. You are in a hallway. A ball comes bouncing down the corridor with no person or animal chasing it and nothing seen or noticed as to how the ball started bouncing in down the hall. What is your perspective? What would you do? That's what this post is suggesting.

I could never let a ball just pass me I would want to play with it.

Lauxa Level 5 June 20, 2018

I reject the premise.

When I was a kid there was a thing call a "super ball". A little smaller than a baseball and very hard, dense rubber. They would bounce longer, higher than an ordinary ball. That is what I imagined bouncing down the hall. I would prefer to back track it, find its origin.

I would be inclined to stop it, it would be natural to do so IMO

My curiosity would compel me to watch the ball until it stopped on its own. And then examine the ball.

Deb57 Level 8 June 13, 2018

Scientific mindset.

I would simply observe it and let the ball roll.

I would have to catch it.

I would try to kick it. 🙂

What color is the ball?

Ya know, that's a good question and I had a similar thought.
I pictured it to be one of the red & blue bouncy balls that reminds me of my childhood at first, or maybe a beach ball, and then when I re-read the question I pictured it more like a metal ball bearing.
If it was like a beach ball, I think I would stop it.
If it was like a metal ball, I think I would let it pass.
The red & blue bouncy ball... I'm not sure what I would do.

Not sure if your comment was supposed to be in jest or not, but there ya go.

@GipsyOfNewSpain @scurry

The ball is RED. It is smaller than a beach ball. Larger than a softball. And made of rubber, like back in the day dodgeball, balls.

@MyLiege is it a dog, a clown (covering his nose) or a gator chasing after the ball?

@GipsyOfNewSpain Nothing visible is chasing after. Momentum happened without knowledge of how it did. Do you stop the ball now?

@MyLiege then I would try to kick it. 🙂

@MyLiege Am I holding a lady hand in our way to the Ballroom as music heard is "Sing, Sing, Sing"? If the ball is supposed to be faith or religion I rather dance with my partner, she will give me all the "Balling" I need and quench my faith for sure... Because I am nothing but a man that dances with ladies and romance the woman that desires romance... such a Tall Task for a ball of any size! If I ever wanted to dance with a ball I would had been a soccer player. If I ever wanted to chase one I will play golf, if I ever wanted to hit one I will play baseball, catch one? Play football.

@GipsyOfNewSpain Interesting perspective. My view was perhaps a simpler version. As in: the red ball is life. Do I let it go by or do I interact and take the ball (or bull by the horns) and do with it what I please. Thanks for your view!

@MyLiege You see, I was already living when the ball appeared. Life took me to the long hall. I am standing there... waiting you said. What if the ball was not big enough for my taste? Balls in a long hall are like women.... you pick up the first one that come rolling.... do not complaint if later a guy with 2 left feet passes by with a beautiful disco ball. I enjoy dancing so I try to accomodate dancing somehow as you already noticed. Younger people may catch the ball meaning life.... but guys my age have tendency to believe we already lived so much. My apology for missing your point.

@GipsyOfNewSpain No apology necessary! Thanks for sharing your point of view!

If you let it go, you'll never be able to say "I had a ball!" ?

zeuser Level 9 June 12, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:105281
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.