Agnostic.com

3 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My worldview has changed radically in the decades since I was reading Jung, and I was never a serious student, but hearing him here reminds me of my mental process after reading Joseph Campbell more recently. At first I thought Campbell was a complete Wooster, but after digging deeper I found the occasional quote that made it quite clear he was speaking metaphorically. I have no way to know what was really in another person’s mind, but I see wiggle room in which to suspect that Jung was not speaking of God in the popularly understood interpretation of a literal person. Sounds to me like he was talking about biology and psychology, using the vernacular expressions. What may have changed since he wrote that is that we actually do know a bit more now about where the religious experience comes from, and it isn’t from anything supernatural, or even all that mysterious. I agree that it comes from the unconscious, and since the unconscious is not available for direct observation it all appears quite mysterious, but a broad general understanding of natural selection throws some plausible speculative light on the darker corners.

skado Level 9 Dec 25, 2017

God as an archetype makes quite a bit of sense to me. I thought he had to have been talking about god in a metaphoric manner when he was questioned about his belief in an interview and from my understanding he was a pupil of nietzsche who believes from my understanding that we shouldn't necessarily believe in the myths of the past and present but use them to understand our unconscious and/or more primitive minds

@Nickdavison Yes, it's the only way any of it makes sense.

I feel like whenever I hear or read anything from Jung it's a load of conjecture presented as having greater certitude than is justified. I heard him once say that he didn't merely believe in God but knew God exists. He backs it up with further conjecture, things that can't be demonstrated (like a collective unconscious, or the assertion that the unconscious is objective). I have no problem with philosophical thought, but he seems to have passed his off as scientific truth.

Carl Jung created an elaborate new -- but false -- metaphysical mind-world. Interesting, but mystical and off-base.

Granted he might be exaggerating quiet a bit but how do you all feel about his concept of dreams and the unconscious mind.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10601
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.