Agnostic.com

14 7

LINK Are you gullible?

From the Brights (http://www.the-brights.net/movement/bulletin/bulletin.html?b=latest ) a recent study shows that we, especially the younger of us are especially prone to believing things that are not real ”…nonreligious citizens also fall prey to nonsensical ideas and groundless beliefs… The ongoing and widespread popularity of hokum and unsubstantiated claims is evidence that absurdities are frequently given priority over reasonable real world facts. And, with the political assault on science and educational failures to instill skepticism and critical thinking, particularly in the United States.” Do you question or suspect things you are told? This is a great international, online group and has several famous spokes people. It is founded on the principle of changing the language is paramount in changing a culture.

JackPedigo 9 June 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My mother always told me "believe half of what you read and none of what you hear", so skeptical thinking was encouraged in my life. That said it is an unending quest for everyone, anyone can be plied using an emotional appeal. As humans we tend to feel first and think later, hence "let the buyer beware" this is exploited by many of us as an occupation, in retail sales and all forms of capitalism; so ingrained it is second nature because we were raised in it. Hence it is our normal.

Our culture routinely lies and exaggerates to us, priming us NOT to believe fully any claim, but rather to believe it just enough to spend that dime (its only a dime), then dimes us to death.

So it will always be a struggle, for each and every person. Hence . . .[skeptic.com]

If you do not learn to challenge it can be very expensive to you because of the fraud out there. As senior citizens we receive 10 to20 calls a day asking for money telling us the IRS is after us or our grandchildren are in prison, we won a cruise etc.

Marine Level 8 June 17, 2018

Not usually no. I like to take people at their word but it seems living in the south east has taught me to always double check. It's become a pattern. Be told something I'm not familiar with. Smile and nod and make nice. Then either dismiss it or hit the books later if it still bugs me.

AmyLF Level 7 June 15, 2018

I hear a lot of stories about living in the South. This is totally alien to me. AM so glad I escaped and live in a more somewhat civilized portion of the country.

When science is taught in a religious manner it is confusing to the person. Second science is not promoted in the southern schools and the midwest. The large number of students who are not receiving a proper science ed is appalling. Because of this the students do not learn to challenge what is taught to them.

Marine Level 8 June 14, 2018

Add history, reading comprehension and a crap ton of life skills to that list. I think the pockets of where they are taught are pretty few and far between... bigger cities mostly. Even then, patchy.

I agree it's something that younger people have trouble with... Way into my twenties, I was definitely credulous, despite having figured out the god thing since childhood. Critical thinking was in my head somewhere, but a well-developed skepticism certainly wasn't.

I particularly took to stories of Government cover-ups of alien contact, and was a willing sucker for Roswell, Area 51, MJ 12 and all the other crap that was going around at the time. At that age, if I'd known about the moon landing hoax stuff, I'd have possibly even swallowed that too.

Fortunately the internet came along just as I outgrew that mindset, or down the rabbit hole I'd have gone.

I think when I'm tired, I get lazy and don't take the time to think and fact check so good. But I know others that believe stuff hook, line, etc.

Pretty much a skeptic. Oh, I've had my moments but by and large I am a pitchman's worse nightmare.

What if the 'Pitchman' was tall, dark, handsome and the one of your dreams??

@JackPedigo Interesting question. The bullshit-o-meter may go off but I might ignore it. True story - been there done that.

@silverotter11 As have many of us. The big question is "have we learned our lesson?" Probably not!

About politics, academic stuff, media etc. I am a cynical bastard. When it comes to people I am very gullible and am very easily fooled. My narcissistic sociopath-dar is way off.

Livia Level 6 June 13, 2018

I don't think so. I'm too cynical and pragmatic to just accept what anyone tells me or even shows me without a ton of research.

Until the woman of your dreams walks through the door. Then guards start to fall!!

@JackPedigo Nope, I don't trust anyone. Especially in a dating situation. Romantic gestures either mean they're feeling guilty or want me to do something I won't like.

Nope. I'm definitely a sceptic.

Ryksie Level 6 June 13, 2018

What if something were true and we were skeptical and didn't believe it? Is that a sort of reverse gullibility?

I try to teach and encourage my children to think for themselves..not to be a sheep..to question everything (and they do). I give them examples and scenarios where thinking for oneself will help them progress and help with problem solving. Avoidance of naivety or gullibility associated with danger could save their lives in certain circumstances.

I do exactly the same

@Ryksie I'm glad that their mother makes time to do that for them..well done you.
I feel it's a small thing for me to teach and reinforce with them..Mommy here does so much for them.. I would feel left out if I didn't help with education and guidance ??

No, I'm not.

I was probably the most gullible untill now. I believed those ghost hunters and dark grave yards and the bible...

He, he, he, ha, he he.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:106117
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.