Agnostic.com

16 0

Acupuncture

Is Acupuncture effective? Is it more effective for some problems than others?

Lorajay 9 June 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Worked for me. I went for serious back pain. After getting off the table, I was not only pain free, but experienced more energy that I had possessed for a long time. And as a retired RN, I saw many people who claimed to have had similar experiences.

It works for some people with certain ailments, it's not a one size fits all no more than any other medical treatment is but from personal experience I used to have regular back problems, various pulled muscles, bruised disc, spasms and even a twisted sacrum. The last time I hurt my back I'd slipped on a wet tiled floor and could hardly walk, this was three weeks before a skiing holiday. I gave acupuncture a go as a last resort having never tried it. I had three treatments and went skiing, that was 30 odd years ago. The treatment either corrected something on a permanent basis or it's a coincidence.

ipdg77 Level 8 June 16, 2018

More effective for some problems, like most modalities; including Western Medicine orthodoxy that is symptom focused.

When and if a unified approach ever develops most illness will vanish by having been deprived of development fostering conditions.

Aberrations will be corrected by an equally unified approach that treats mental, emotional and somatic imbalances together.

Acupuncture? I can't see the point...... (sorry!)

I had it for recurring elbow/neck and back problems, and found it very effective.

I was sick in China. Local hospital told me I had a tourist stomach. But I knew it wasn’t that. Locals took me to an acupuncturist and it took him 5 mins to locate I was having a gall bladder attack. Came back to the States and the old Chinese guy was bang on. I had it removed. I totally believe in it, but not if it’s being done by a New Age prick at home who did a dodgy 12 week course.

Livia Level 6 June 14, 2018

Placebo effect

Acupuncture is proof that the power of suggestion plus the placebo effect can actually achieve desired results. We peoples are delightfully naive and gullible. Did you say it doesn't always work? The prosecution rests.

Arguably, the prosecution has submitted no evidence that accupuncture does not work while research supports it's effectiveness in acute and chronic pain conditions. I'm not going to cite the publications but their are many that have documented the release of endorphins, etc. If you Google it, Bing it or just look up studies in the library, I think you will find confirmation of my...wait for it....point

Nope

Some experiments suggest it can help with pain, but that it doesn’t matter where you stick the needles in, suggesting it is a placebo effect. Even if it is real, the effects measured were minor. You would be better off using more conventional pain relief methods.

Katrik Level 7 June 13, 2018

I classify acupuncture among "Things That Are Probably Woo But Need To Be Properly Refuted".

Jnei Level 8 June 13, 2018

@SACatWalker well stated. woo wooness nonsensicus

@SACatWalker I have a friend who's European and I once referred to a town as "woo-woo central." She is a scientist and went into think mode, puzzled. So to explain it I referred her to this website. Woo-wooness nonsensus maximus:

[megblanchet.com]

Yeah, the Eastern version of that is called IMS. I haven't read the research but I've had personal success with it. N=1 being what it is...

Acupuncture is a form of alternative medicine in which thin needles are inserted into the body. It is a key component of traditional Chinese medicine.

Q. Do you know what they call alternative medicine that works?
A. Medicine.

The zoo where I work had a very large goat named BOB. He was arthritic and the vets finally brought in an accupuncturist. The keepers SWORE he was better. The vets SWORE it was a placebo effect working on the keepers. Nobody asked Bob but, honestly, he did seem more active after the treatments.

If it works?? Its well known in eastern medicine. Its very effective. I have see surgories on discovery were chinese doctors performed medical procedure on the cranium without using anesthesia. Its very valid, anybody who says different has not done the research!!

Etre Level 7 June 13, 2018

Never had it myself, but my son swears that it helped him quit smoking.

tioteo Level 8 June 13, 2018

I've read that the effect is placebo only.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:106217
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.