Agnostic.com

16 1

Saw something on tv about Mother Theresa she did some good work.
What do you guys think about her?

CeciRosane60 7 Dec 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Received a lot of donations but didn't spend them to better the lives of the people she cared.

She spent it on herself and her "order" building beautiful new nunneries. The hovel she called "hospitals" for the poor were still hovels when she left. Disgusting.

I think she was just another charlatan.

My father thought she was the best thing since sliced bread. The more I read about her, the more I was appalled at her actions. Yes, she "helped" the poor; however she didn't do it because she thought the poor needed help. She did it to elevate her place in heaven and to hell with how she treated the people of Earth as they were expendable.

She promoted her church for selfish gains. She was not a good person but an apologist for the Catholic Church. Christopher Hitchens "The Missionary Position". was a good starter expose.

I think she is cool. Showing love and concern for people is cool.

But she didn't! It was all a con to get catholic converts! Even if she was so brainwashed as to not realise what she was doing, the poor suffered under her - how can you defend someone who says poverty is a gift from god, and that suffering has a purpose? Sick.

@Agnostic1. aww hell A1, I didn't do my homework on her. I just remembered the bullcrap I heard when I was younger. I was surprised to get this reaction. Tone it down with the adjective.

Kinky Friedman, who refers to himself as a texan jew, and jokes about how 'they don't make jews like jesus anymore', is as funny as a fat spider, but I wonder if others think he is beeing disrespectful of his religion. As long as he can be as flippant as that, he's got my 'cool' vote.

She thinks poverty is a blessing and lived in luxury. She's as much a saint as Margret Thatcher is an emotional Iron woman.

Saints are just people the church hold as ideals of their unguided ways, so she is a saint, but saints are pieces of the machine of control.

Then the catholic church is a cult, no?

Any friend of Batman is a friend of mine.

A question like this comes from a person looking for one side of said person. There's yin side to us, there's a yang side to us. Yeah she did a lot of good, but she had an evil side to her that let her persue a life of giving.

Can you elaborate on the "good" she did? Can't see any long-term good - nothing has changed for the poor - she was just very good at photo-opportunities.

@Agnostic1 if you want to believe that she didn't help because it makes you feel feel good, go right ahead. But to the people that were fed, she did help out. And if you were starving, yeah you would say anything to eat now would you.

@sirbikesalot06 - Sorry - did you answer the question? Where's the proof she fed people other than when the media was around? Why would it make me feel good to believe she didn't help? Not something I'm into as an atheist. It sounds like a very religious standpoint to me - better check your genes.

Thanks all for the answers because it was a fluffy piece on tv and on PBS too. Who can we trust when it comes to news? Times they sure changed...

When I see school displays on the wonder mother theresa it makes my stomach sick. She was an example of a vile human being intent of advancing catholisism - she didn't give a shit about the poor.

I've heard some pretty horrible things about the way children in her care were actually treated, but who knows what's true? She was certainly an international personality so I doubt she spent much of her time directly involved in caring for anyone.

She was an absolutely disgusting human being. Her delusional beliefs led to the poorest and most vulnerable people in her care suffering terribly while she jetted around the world hob-nobbing with dictators.
I wish hell existed so she could be rotting there.

Even hitler has good stuff... he have a program that all germans will give 6 months of their life after secondary school to work for the benefit of the government. Whatever was needed you will do and the pay was minimal but it has a great number of benefits like free movie theaters, food, etc. During that time you were treated as a hero.... Imagine that program in america, no exclusions for the rich.... EVERYBODY. And mother theresa she just worked for the most poor, you can find many heroes like that in church and out of church.

But she DIDN'T "work for the poor" - she worked for the advancement of catholisism. She let the poor suffer and told them they were blessed.

@Agnostic1 it is how catholic church works... the poor will always suffer with or without church they have no money for medicines and care. I am not going to defend her... she was in service for about 70 years. She gave hope to those that were looking for hope. what ever that hope was a patch of cloud in heaven, or supper with jesus, catholic way of dispense charity. But hey don't say she never fed the hungry because she did just as many of us have done. Don't want to defend her but catholic church has worst examples. She just happened to be the 20th Century SuperStar Nun. I care less. I am not in war with church, any church.

she was a monster that gave people false hope while taking joy in watching the suffering of people dying from illnesses easily treated with modern medicine. The 'patients' of her hospice were denied access to their families and even basic medical care while they died. Her worship of death and suffering made her into a sadistic cult leader who hid behind the larger Catholic church.

But she made sure she flew to California to get treatment when she was ill.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10646
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.