Agnostic.com

7 2

Has anyone ever phoned their congress person or senator to voice their concerns about an issue?

Do you think it had any impact?

atheist 8 Dec 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have many times and written many letters, gone on marches and visited one at her office in D.C. and so on. For a Democracy to work we must all be active.

Having said that, I have to say my senators,Maria Cantwell and Patty Murry are dedicated Democrats. Our representative and Governor are also democrats as well as the regional and county legislators so most of what I do only supports their decision.

There are other ways to voice an opinion (I just posted a bit about people getting ready to march if Mueller gets fired). We have many issues in my region and use what is known as scoping letters (I have written >30). These are letters to agencies to show support or reject upcoming projects. There was a plan to build the biggest coal/oil terminal in the country in Bellingham, WA. Marches, protests, phone calls and scoping letters stopped the project.

Many times. I’ve been in person too. If you call you usually get a recording and leave a message. Sometimes an aide answers. Just plan your remarks and make them a suggestion not an attack.

I have called, faxed, and emailed. I have attended town halls. I have handed out sheets of red and green construction paper prior to the town halls.I have attended a few marches.

Well, my goal is to be more politically active, so yes. Did I make a difference, mixed bag. But I tried. I have been there and sometimes the results were what I wanted, sometimes not. But this is a marathon, not a sprint.

I visited my congressman's office regarding a problem I had with the VA. My VA doctor sent me to the ER and then the VA refused to pay. No VA hospital in my area and it was after hours emergency. I was turned over to collection agencies for non payment. He took action and made it right for me.

When ever we're dealing with the government, its going to be an arduous process.

I have written to and visited my MP(Member of UK Parliament) several times over the past few years.
The reason being that I am part of a group(non political) that is trying to revoltionise the way money is created .This issue also applies in every other nation so it is a global problem.

Most people (including 85 % of our own MP's) do not know how money is created in a modern economy. The truth is private banks create about 97% of the money we use daily. The state only produces the remaining 3% as cash(i.e notes and coins)
This has serious implications for our economies,mainly downside ones. It causes booms and busts,increases inequality and erodes democracy. We are campaigning for a banking sector that works for society not against it.

If you want to see more look here;

[positivemoney.org]

We have sister organistions in dozens of other countries ,although not in the USA.

Thanks atheist, we certainly have the banking lobby which is tremendously strong and they will resist fiercely ,which is why we need to do something about it in my book. But we need everyone to understand the situation re money creation ,if you think its for the best fair enough ,but you need to know how money is created before you can even make that decision,most of our politicians have not the first idea about it.

@atheist ,thats great to hear!

We are merely spreading the word for wider debate,and mostly pushing against open doors. I like their positive solutions ,they don't have all the answers to societies woes,but it d be a damn good start.

Yes. I’ve written twice to my State government, suggesting a license plate for education. We have a state park, culture, and bike lanes. Why can’t we have one for our children?

I’ve not heard anything back, either time. @atheist

Not as often as I should … I’ll usually email them. I’ve had good representation most of the time (I miss Oregon), but would occasionally check in to let her/him know their vote was appreciated. In a different situation now (SW VA), having publicly denounced ‘my congressman’ in the local paper … lol ~ that prick knows my feelings 😉

Great question though, they’ve a formula as in ‘one call represents so many constituents,’ so let them hear from you.

Varn Level 8 Dec 26, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10653
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.