Agnostic.com

30 7

Does observation alter an event?

Observer effect?

Stacey48 8 June 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My favorite quote on the subject, most often attributed to Richard Feynman:
"If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics."

skado Level 9 June 14, 2018

It does if you're Schrödinger's cat!

Jon791 Level 4 June 14, 2018

Maybe not an answer, but consider Schroedinger's cat. Does it die as soon as someone sees it, or does it die before. Does seeing it kill it? No, we only find the answer to whether it is alive or dead when we actually see it. Seeing it does not affect it's steady state.

I don't understand howitwprksbut the closest I've been able to get my head around the subject is by thinking . At the tiny quantum level a light particle will hit something smaller than it thus changing its position ...so then observing something does change it . I've probably mixed up two scientific methods but that's how I have understood things

Simon1 Level 7 June 14, 2018

Depends on from which side of the fence you observe it ?

@Stacey48
Yeah, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:106585
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.