Agnostic.com

7 1

Are New Religious Movements evidence of a traditional religions resurgence in the modern era, or a new concept of religion forming?

There is no doubt that religion (dependent on one's definition), and spirituality, is on the rise again. Would you argue that New Religious Movements, from Pentecostalism to yoga, are a manifestation of traditional religion or a completely new form of spirituality separate from religion, or an amalgamation of both? Would love to hear your thoughts.

whijit 3 Dec 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You start with an assertion, one I can only guess what information you have for making because you do not present it.
I could easily counter with an opposite assertion and we would be right where we started.
But as a 50y/o with an interest in the subject I feel confident to state that I observe no reasons to think that religion is more prevalent now than 30 years ago. I have seen many reports that suggest however that a confessed atheistic religious viewpoint is becoming much more prevalent among 30 y/o and under persons. As for spirituality and religion fusing (mutating?) into ever increasingly popular strains who knows! I wouldn't take the time to bother studying it for what little reward the answer would yield.

Its hard to say. I remember the beginnings of this back in the 70s. Lots of the more idealistic hippy types became Jesus freaks. I see a lot of the traditional in the Dallas area, however, it has a feeling of politics as much as religion. Most of it seems to be a desire to rub their beliefs in other people's faces. I think the new religion definitely has a political overtone, maybe even more than spirituality. Of the many people i know, who constantly profess to live their lives by their faith, I can think of only 3, 2christians and 1 moslem, who actually do. To most here, it seems to be a way of saying'"I am a Conservative Christian and anybody who isn't had better get with the program".

I think for the most part it is a reinterpretation of ideas taking into account modern thought and discoveries. Not to say they manage to reconcile it all, but I think that is why they make the effort to establish a new religion.... that and to gin power over others.

Edison said: "We are that which asks the question." There would appear to be dissatisfaction with traditional religions and the emergence of something 'new' with the allure or promise of peace and happiness is certainly very attractive to many people...

Great question! I don't know the answer, but that never stopped me from running my yap before. I'm guessing mostly the former, and hoping for at least a bit of the latter. I think it's a false hope to expect religion to go away, but we do have the power to re-envision it in harmony with science.

skado Level 9 Dec 27, 2017

I agree, we can not fully distance ourselves from religion when it looks like it will be prevalent for the foreseeable future, but we can reconcile the two! However, the problem becomes persecution against religious scientists because of the notion that there is this stark dichotomy between the two and no in-between, which I tend to disagree with.

@whijit Yes, I can see a potential path of reconciliation, but it is heavily obstructed by dichotomous thinking from both sides. You hit the nail on the head!

@I think Richard Dawkins lectured on the somewhat extinct Dichotomous-thesaurus once, in Cornwall on the Green, UK....or did I dream it?!!

Compare the last hundred years with the one previous. The 1800s saw Mormonism then Millerism which branched into Seventh Day Adventism and Jehovah’s Witnesses. Christian Science and the Salvation Army made inroads. The only churches of any significance born in the last hundred years that I can think of is Scientology and Wicca. Granted there have been a host of sects springing up but most fade within a few years. Pentecostalism sprang up after 1900 and has surely grown over the last century but I wonder if it hasn’t reached its climax and we will start to see declining numbers. If Europe is any example we may see large segments of our society distancing themselves from religion. I hope that the current wave of hypocrisy that is so evident, will hurry this along.

gearl Level 8 Dec 26, 2017

Haha, great points! I tend to agree, Grace Davie has spoken about 'believing without belonging', which brings into question ideas of church attendance and like things. It's all quite frustrating because there are ridiculously low church-attendance rates, but high levels of faith still which doesn't seem to add-up to traditional notions of religious belief.
You have to ask the question of 'what makes someone religious?' Because I think the answer to that has drastically changed in recent years.

New religious sects and cults have arisen and died out throughout human history. People feeling themselves inadequate will probably continue to make the same mistake again and again.

Would you argue, then, that religion stems from a worry of the unknown? This would appeal to a theory of Gap Creationism, would it not?

To whijit: Yes, religion is a response *although an invalid one) to worry about the unknown and about a feeling of powerlessness.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10807
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.