Agnostic.com

8 5

Hi everyone. Im new here, been here just a few days, trying to get my bearings of the place. Its nice to meet you all.

A little about me is.. I was born and raised in New Zealand, currently still living, a non religious family, never went to church, never had any friends of any religion. Still to this day have never read the bible. (Tried to a couple of times but got bored) I have never believed in god, and most of life never really thought anything of it.

About 15 years ago, I was in a relationship with a man from South Asia whos family was was Muslim. He was the black sheep of the family and become a NZer and not religious. We wanted to get married, and went back to his home country quite often.
His family said if I wanted to marry to his family, I would have to convert to Islam. So I did this to please his mother, who died soon after. Although in the end the relationship with this man did not work out (Not for religious reasons) I am still great friends with him and his family.

For a while I took this Islam conversion thing very seriously, found out about Islam, read Islamic history and stories and the Quran, talked to people, though although i believe and love the morals that the Quran preaches, I believe it to be just that, a book of morals same as the Bible. Though the whole religion thing I could never be a true muslim because the one thing and most obvious thing is I don't believe in god.

I have talked to many people of various religions, listened to talks searched google, to see maybe I am the one who is crazy for thinking this god thing is mumblejumble, but nothing these people say makes sense to me. To me there is no god. I can't see how there can be one.

Although I do like learning about various religions especially Islam, I see these as guide lines to life and laws to follow.
I apologize for my ramblings, I have tried to keep it short all though it hasn't worked. lol. I hope I make some sense, and I look forward to getting into some discussions and meeting people round here 🙂

Sacha 7 Dec 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Very interesting story

Your a fantastic person to do that. I was raised the same way. I'm glad my parents left it up to me.

Oy I was expecting that to end badly when you mentioned becoming immersed in the muslim culture so that's cool you were able to remain friends with your ex.

Welcome! I'm new as well and the plethora of gods created by men is just rubbish.

What an interesting story you have. You are open minded enough to truly give religion a genuine try but logical enough to see it for what it really is. I would describe the bible/quran as books of mythology rather than morality. Sure there are some morals to be learned but they are the morals of bronze age people who knew very little about their world.

I think that one of the great tragedies of history was the usurpation of morality by religion. Religious people claim that there can be no morality without religion, which of coarse is false. Morality derived from religion is archaic and flawed, we can do much better and our world has been much improved by the separation of church and state.

Hi! Welcome to the community!!! I hope you have as good experience here just as much as I have. By the way, nice history. I also think Egypt is beautiful and I think it is wonderful you’ve been there six times. I bet it is beautiful!!! I think it is also amazing you gave Islam a chance the way that you did. Not many people would have done that for their love. You sound amazing!

Hi Sacha... I love your intro. I see how you traveled and studied and came to the conclusion. It's good to hear that from someone else. I made a statement that I don't like or care for religion and it can go away as far as I'm concerned. I got attacked by some needed people on how there should be some religion in the world. I wish you could of been there to speak up for me. One other person agreed with me.
Anyway ... welcome to our forum. It's a lot of fun. I hope you have fun too.

Welcome. It will be nice to have more folks like you who come to our site with a different perspective than all of us 'anti-christians'.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10833
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.