Agnostic.com

12 6

Imagine how ahead in our time we would be if religion(s) would not have burned books and people at stake. Re-watching Cosmos, remembering Giordano Bruno.

Mariv357 5 Dec 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is true. Including Hitler. Hope herr tRUMP doesn't imitate book burning.

But it was actually Christians that burned the library at Alexandria.

Sadly true

Let's not forget Hypatia of Alexandria 4th century AD (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypatia) and what was lost by her terrible death at the hands of the Christians. They were into destroying and suppressing knowledge and people from the get go. They even hunted down and killed their own, other Christian groups from Constantine's Council of Nicaea (AD325) who wouldn't follow their Jesus story. Bart D. Ehrman's books on Jesus deal with this quite well. And then they have the balls to talk about Christian goodness and Christian love. Only if you haven't read any real history books about the subject of Christianity.

Don’t forget the Malleus Maleficarum

Religion and the state were (and still are in many places) entwined so anything that upsets the power balance is treated viciously in order to keep the supposed order I guess.

Family Guy tackled this one. The alternate reality was glorious, as I recall.

Considering that archeologists have found evidence of Egyptians and other ancient cultures who successfully navigated brain surgery, mapped human anatomy, and a whole host of other advances that the Catholic Church eradicated during the middle ages. We would be a lot further along scientifically without Christianity.

I think the Bible has been on of the most banned books in history, having a copy of it was enough to be burned at the stake by the church as a heretic. The average person was not enlightened enough to correctly interpret it.

Maybe because It is just a load of cobblers, nobody has ever been able to interpret it...so it can mean whatever 'those in power' want it to..

I was able to interpret it fine. It’s very similar to the Silmarrillion and just as fictional.

It is just another form of control and magic

@Gatovicolo Eddings said very much the same thing about his books, and in fact most fantasy, a little from the bible and a little from Tolkien .

I think Tolkien said as much in the History of Middle Earth

I do not know. If not religion some other bullshit would have taken its place. Religion is also a creation of human imagination. Don't you think humans would have created something else? Do you really think all the fights that's going on is because of religion? Just do a research on the fundings of terrorist organisations, I am sure results will be mind boggling.

The middle east was home to great astronomers until the religion destroyed the scientific community and brought back the bronze age. This war wouldn't even exist if science had won out then.

I was extremely pissed off when I found out, it was the Christians that burned the Library of Alexandria.

A dude by the name of Cyril by memory, had the main librarian flayed with shells because she was a woman.

One of our Agnostic brothers reckons that the Romans didn't burn the books, but took them back to Rome, where they now reside in the Vatican library...??

That was Hypatia, a famous woman mathematician.

They actually tried for a long time to blame it ( Alexandria Library) on the Romans. In that enjoyably awful movie Cleopatra (1963) they flogged that myth, with Rex (Big Julius C) Harrison expressing regret about burning the library. I mean, really?

RIP Library of Alexandria

Marz Level 7 Dec 26, 2017

Yes. One of my favorite scientists, Marvin Minsky (RIP) said, if not for religious foot-draggers, we would have cured death by now. It was too late for him.

skado Level 9 Dec 26, 2017

Minsky was a funny and brilliant man. I love watching videos of him; one of those people who wouldn't be able to talk if you tied his hands. He was always building his words in the air with his hands as he spoke. You could rarely get a glimpse of his face. @Mariv357

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10850
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.