Agnostic.com

16 2

Love or in-love?

Is it possible to make someone fall back in-love after growing apart?

• 22 votes
  • 17 votes
  • 23 votes
Adorkable 6 June 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I vote yes. But it can't be the same love it was. It has to be new.

"While you were away, my heart comes undone, slowly unravels in a ball of yarn. The devil collects it, with a grin, our love, in a ball of yarn. He'll never return it. So when you come back, we'll have to make new love."

You can't "make them" -- you can only try to respectfully keep the lines of communication open, own your part in any misunderstandings, hope for the best, and continue to live your life. Then it's up to them to decide what they want to do.

No. If they no longer have that feeling for someone, trying to bring it back implies changing behavior, which just isn't reality. Seems like it would be manipulative, and false. But I don't know the situation, so all I can give is a generality.

In just about every application of the verb 'falling', it is something undesirable, often injuring and always in error; frequently occurring in the midst of haste and inattentiveness.

Why falling when applied to discovery of love is a positive is some mystery; especially because the phenomenon so glowingly described shows the same results.

If a solid, intimate, well thought out and felt relationship is to eventuate, falling just doesn't seem to be a desirable element. Attraction should be cultivated rationally, over time. This optimizes the ability to develop familiarity, depth of respect, affection, trust and real love of a person; not just want of them for how they look or what they possess or what kind of commitment can be secured as a substitute for 'trust'.

Falling in love is one of many myths that remain with people even long after they've disposed of belief in other more obvious myths like religions.

Definition of terms is needed to answer the question.

"In Love" is the label many apply to what is scientifically known as "cathexis" which is that heady state you're in when you first are infatuated with a new love interest. The one that involves "love goggles" where you don't see anything clearly, just ridiculously amplified versions of your love interest's strengths.

That isn't sustainable and sustaining it should not be a goal to begin with.

Sure it's possible to "grow apart" and then come together with a fresh perspective that produces a new round of cathexis, but that's as temporary as the first round.

Real, lasting love is way more prosaic than "being in love". It is being committed to support and affirm the other person despite being well acquainted with all their bullshit. It involves loyalty and devotion and constancy and a lot of that is just a cold hard decision, and not always an immediately and superficially rewarding one. Hopefully you get reciprocity on that over time.

Thank you for that.

It's possible.

In my personal experience, no. Others in the thread have mentioned "you can't make them" do anything, and the fact that people change, especially after a relationship ends. The betrayal part is the deal-breaker for me. What led up to it can't be changed. Sure, people can change, and become a new person (I certainly have), but the fear that it would happen again could never leave me. I guess I need to ask - why are you trying to get back with someone who hurt you? Seems like you would do better with a fresh start and no baggage. IMHO, that baggage would always be in the attic. Wishing you the best.

It is possible and if voting maybe you are voting yes it says can is it possible not can or will you. The big question why should you even try?

You can't "make" someone fall into or out of love. Period.

Possible, but usually it's unlikely. Time and experience change at least one person in the equation almost invariably. "You can go back/But you can't go back all the way."--Bob Dylan

Based on what you said here in comments, and in another post of yours, here are my thoughts.

It usually takes two parties in a committed relationship to create the soil that leads to one party making the [wrong] choice to stray.

If those issues -- what you both did to create that soil -- are the ONLY things that lead you both to where you are now, and if you are both willing to resolve all your issues using whatever tools and time necessary, I would say there is a reason to hope.

If, however, even ONE of the issues is simply that "she just isn't into YOU anymore," I'm afraid you are going to be disappointed by the outcome. I don't think that can be changed so easily, if at all.

This song is called Reason to Hope. I love it.

Unless a person has committed a massive abuse, re-kindling the love is easy to do. I suggest reading the works of John Gottman---many years of experience in research of couples who make it work.

You haven't posted a photo, haven't written a profile and didn't answer any profile questions. That is how the website algorithm finds matches for you, so I assume you aren't here to date.
I don't usually respond to people without profiles, since they could be anyone, married, or even a criminal. Please fill out the information.

No to making. Yes it can happen.

Love is like a delicate flower, once it's gone it cannot be brought back to life...

ABack Level 6 June 18, 2018

I have a love hate relationship with that statement. I believe overall love of a person never dies, it can be tarnished, it can transform. There can be parts of an individuals personality that you do not care for sure, but overall, still love them. Anyone in my life that I have ever loved, I still love today. There are some that I don't trust with that love, so they do not get to see it any longer. That does not stop me from still being hopeful they will find joy in their lives, and love the times we had together.

You can't influence someone else.

All you can do is influence someone you just can’t force it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:109790
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.