Agnostic.com

8 2

Hot Button Question 4

There is no such thing as a truly closed system. With that said, what do you have to say about ONE quality in your life that you know affects others but you don't care to change it, How and Why?

ITGuy75 4 June 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Playing music is about it. I hope it has a positive effect on some people, so of course l don't want to change that.

I enjoy killing myths particularly about food, nutrition and woo science. Organic is one of my specialty targets.

Lukian Level 8 June 18, 2018

Being an atheist does not harm anyone! It scares them because deep down they know their beliefs are fake!

Smoking of anything and religion. I call them out every time. I am just tired of all the bullshit these people speak just to defend their actions !

When I pass someone smoking on the sidewalk, I hold my nose, cover my mouth, and walk by them very quickly. I do not mean to offend them, but I'm sure some would take offense. I do it because if I breathe too much polluted air, I get bronchitis.

This is a topic I discuss a lot with friends and new acquaintances myself. I get some negative feedback, but for the most part they really can't counter-argue about the fact they have no control over where the smoke goes unless they simply don't care...

@ITGuy75 They don't care. If they cared, they wouldn't smoke where there are innocent bystanders. (Or in this case, bywalkers?)

It's their business if they want to commit suicide by smoking. But why do they commit murder while they're at it? It is unethical to smoke in public. But they don't care.

smokers don't care itsall aboutthem they will blow smoke in your face and laugh

@BestWithoutGods I kind of relate smokers to anti vaxxers. Deluded opinions about the actual harm of their action on the people around them.

on the sidewalk???? that is rude in a building or room maybe

I find it offensive that a smoker is judged for smoking by people who don't know them, especially when it is someone who has never smoked. 'Smokers don't care'? ALL smokers? As a former smoker, I can tell you SOME smokers DO care. I never smoked around people who did not smoke (unless it was in my own home and even then, I would go in the other room).
I hated smoking and tried multiple times to quit before I actually did, and I never, EVER blew smoke in someone's face and laughed. As a FORMER smoker, I know that smoking is gross. I know it stinks. I know it's unhealthy. I also know it's extremely hard to quit. I don't judge.

@LuckySeven Thank you for caring. And kudos for quitting. Hooray!

@whiskywoman If the smoke pollution on the sidewalk went straight up in an inches-wide column, you would have a point. But it does not. It spreads, so that people dozens of feet away are adversely affected.

@Alimacbean not anti vaxers they do influence us all

I play devil's advocate. Unless I tell people what I'm doing, they think I'm serious.

I do this a lot as well. Just to make points.

@Freespirit64 yep same here.

I have found that telling them exactly what you are doing as if its just a joke makes them think your fun not perverted or doing something illegal

I do this a lot too without even realizing I'm doing it. I have to think, wtf am I doing, i don't believe this? lol

Well...I'm blunt. Sometimes. My girls have told me I get this look when I'm listening to someone's BS and they get ready for the blasting. But some people...I mean...really? They need to be shown the mirror, you know? Call them out. It just happens. I don't even try to stop it. I've been told I'm pretty harsh. The older I get, the less I care.

Yeah me too. It just tumbles/bursts out of my mouth sometimes. Oh well....it is what it is!!

@patchoullijulie indeed!

me too my kids tell me all the time how harsh I can be but I am harsh on myself too or real about my short cummings and they are many

@whiskywoman right? We own it. They need to own it too!

My strive to educate people on the possibility of a better life through introspection and the act questioning everything, particularly religion.

I usually try to engage a persons sense of logic and reason. Sometimes to no avail when it seems they have none or choose to ignore their sense of it. Often I keep talking even if they seem uninterested.

I believe that each of us has something we can learn from everyone else and the only way we can do that is to communicate clearly and from the same perspective. Failing that we must first establish guidelines for even talking to understand each others method of communicating and their meaning.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:109791
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.