Agnostic.com

15 6

LINK BBC - Culture - Mind your language! Swearing around the world

Warning: This article contains very strong language that may offend some readers.

This is an interesting article on language, how we use it, and how or why we might take offense.

I agree with Pinker's five functions of swearing. What I find offensive is not in the word, but how it's used and it's intention. If it's meant to bring someone else down, it bothers me. Power plays a huge role in this.

What do you think? Are there words others find harmless, that you find hurtful?

Stacey48 8 June 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Very interesting read having traveled and lived as an expat, I find nuance and idioms very fascinating....

I also dislike the "N" work for blacks or African Americans, not really sure of the politically correct term. It is ugly and debasing. I do not care if black people think it is OK it is still wrong. I do not care if they do not understand how wrong it is to call each other by that name. It is still wrong.

I swear but I don't like it. When I get really angry I swear. I really hate that part of me. I find swearing no matter what is debasing to the person using the foul language. You can find and make all kinds of arguments to the contrary but at the end of the day is is vulgar. Using articulate, pointed words can do much more damage and have a longer lasting effect on the receiver. When I lived in France for a few years in my youth I played basketball with an all American player. Most of the other players were from other countries yet they all Koreans, Greeks, French etc swore in English! My friend would always very politely, the first time, explain that if they wanted to swear go ahead just do it in your own language.

"Ass" is the most complicated word in the English language.

The uploader has not made this video available in in your country . (Canada)

@Aquaeyes The performer is named Ismo. This is a funny routine and maybe you can find it elsewhere from Canada.

It isn't the intention, it is the reception that causes the trouble. Words can never hurt me, unless I let them. I caught hell once for using the word "sissy" in an innocent, "don't be a woos" context.

Interesting but what about using swear words as a form of endearment? Calling someone something that would normally be inappropriate but because of the connection and trust you share with them it IS appropriate.

@Stacey48 I agree but I don't remember them mentioning this in the article.

"I sure love you, you little fucker."
Yeah...I do that....lol

I'm not offended at any words. Intent is what matters. Cursing has no bearing on intelligence.

I had my feet to the fire on this site for suggesting it not be used because I did not feel it added to the remarks.

Marine Level 8 June 18, 2018

I thought the segment about Talking Dirty was interesting.. Some people consider this as intrinsic to the act of fooling around (see I haven't used the word fuck).
Others of a more prudish mind consider talking dirty as lude, rude and dirty..which is sort of what it is supposed to be...I may have gone off topic here..so I will close with someone I like to quote which may explain my pov better..

" Sex is only dirty..if you are doing it properly"
Woody Allen.

It is not in my vocabulary

@Marine Talking dirty?

@Hitchens F**k

@Marine lol he he..got ye!

@Hitchens Nope I just indicated what the word might be and you filled in the two letters.HAHA

@Marine Flak you must mean..?

@Hitchens Lots of it.

@Marine ???

Very interesting read. The only words l really find offensive are racial slurs.

Good read. I proves that swearing in the emotional crutch of the fucking ignorant.

@Stacey48 I agree. I know highly intelligent and articulate people who often swear like champs.

Great article, thanks for posting that.

It is a subject I have thought about a lot recently.

@Stacey48 Because my wife swears like sailor. She used to try to limit it when around our daughter, but now she doesn't even try. She's actually proud of it now, and claims that she uses like a comma. I'm not innocent in this regard, I do let occasional swear words out in front of my daughter. I don't get too worried about it. I understand the thinking that giving words that kind of forbidden power just makes them that much more attractive to children. So I don't tend to comment when it happens. When my daughter occasionally swears, I don't punish her, I just tell her not to say those words until she's an adult. I'm not naive, I remember when, where, and from whom I learned my swear words. I just never thought that my kid would be the one to teach the other kids on the playground how to swear. To that end, I'm still waiting for the from her principal's office.

My general feeling about swearing was that if my message can't be conveyed without swearing, then what I have to say isn't that important. I think that adequate non-swear words already exist in my vocabulary to explain everything that I have ever said. I understand emotional content plays into the choice to add "color" to your message. I find that I am most likely to swear when I accidently hurt myself, or other emotional times when I am not thinking too clearly. I also think that like superlatives, anything that gets used too often quickly loses value. That being said, in the end I think that context and audience now matter more to me.

Anyway, if my wife is the queen of swearing, her mother is the queen of superlatives. When she comes and stays with us, everything is always "the best, most, worst, etc..." There is no middle ground on even the most trivial opinions. So after her most recent visit, I started contemplating this desire in human languages to add "flair" to your speech in order to aggrandize your message to your audience. This article took my contemplations much deeper though.

Well, I try to stand by Buddhist principles of right speech, where hurtful speech is not done, and so usually take some care to banish strong language. I have to admit, coming here from European and Buddhist forums has been a bit of a culture shock, there certainly is more swearing and language that I'd avoid as being potentially offensive.

Denker Level 7 June 18, 2018

Heard someone saying that the origin of swearing words in society has to do with a rejection of culture ideology . I know it works in Québec, we almost exclusively use religious words as swear words. In the US, it's mostly sexually oriented which explains the US's sociological prude approach to sex and sexuality.

[atlasobscura.com]

Lukian Level 8 June 18, 2018

@Stacey48 hence why you Pinker I’ll bet?

That was another good article, Thanks!

I lived in the early 90's in Spain. My family is in the hotel and Spanish is our language, First commercial I ever saw on Spanish TV was from a tv station.... it was naked woman buttock, pretty, nice, firm, natural grown buttock. Translation of the voice... "In Spain we called things by their name and this is a tremendous ass. And this is a tremendous television station." Made me fell good of how proud Spain was of the language. The greatest cussing demostration either in spanish or english I ever heard was a 9 year old kid to his 12 year old sister during the Good Friday Procession.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:109927
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.