Agnostic.com

56 12

Aliens: Are we alone?

Astrophysicists disagree on this.

Stephen Hawking stated "I am more convinced than ever that we are not alone." Then warned us to stop looking for them before it's too late.

Neil Degrasse Tyson has gone on record to say that he doesn't believe there is intelligent life form (arms, legs etc) beyond our planet (although he has vacillated on this), and now says we are at least 50 years away from making contact with them.

Physicist Brian Cox thinks we won’t hear from intelligent aliens anytime soon (if ever) because life forms at that level tend to out-engineer themselves into extinction; destroying themselves by creating more technologies than they have the social and political expertise to manage (does that sound familiar?)

What are your thoughts? Do you think aliens exist? That they walk among us (insert joke here). Do you care?

Athena 8 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

56 comments (51 - 56)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm a simple man - not a deep thinker and one who believes that the simplest answer is likely the right one. This is what I think about this issue - let's assume that 14 events needed to happen for life to come about here on earth e.g., climate change, bombardment by asteroids containing water, our planets' axis of rotation, gravity, the ozone layer and how all these things came to be following other events that occurred. There are many others that could be included here - I'm simply not that smart - however, take just one away and we wouldn't be here. And so the idea that all of the 14 events that we needed to exist - by default, exists on another planet is just not something I can accept. Is there alien life - sure - but we're the most advanced because of the unique circumstances that made it possible for us to exist. We've not been visited - Star Trek and Avatar are science fiction and until one person comes up with a CLEAR picture of an Alien or UFO - I'm gonna stick to my simplistic views.

We may have been visited in the distant past,paintings,carvings,statues,all seem to point to beings in vehicles,perhaps affecting how Humans have developed? The Pyramids in Egypt,and very similar types in South America,coincidence?

@Louise1920 The Pyramids have nothing to do with the idea that aliens previously visited us unless you believe they traveled across the universe in order to teach us how to stack one stone on top of the other.

I'm 100% sure that we are not the only life in the universe. Assuming they are in existence right now in this time, and have discovered us, would you want to visit us? I wouldn't. We're not worth anything to anyone more civilized than us, except our planetary resources. 1,000,000 light years is a drop in the bucket of space/time. We've only been making noise for less than 100 years. And that assumes that our sun doesn't drown out anything we produced beyond our solar system.

xyz123 Level 7 June 22, 2018

@Athena I don't accept the ego-centric view that Earth is the center of the Universe -- that's ridiculous to me. I also can't see gravity, but I accept that it is there. Intelligent life may be too far away to 'see' us or may not exist as intelligent life yet, or may have died off millions or billions of years ago. Or they may be avoiding us because we are still too primitive.

@Athena It theory I would agree. I'm 100% sure because ultimately it doesn't matter. And something that has no value, whether it is 0% or 100%, still has no value. For the purpose of discussion I go with the 100%. Evidence to many people is a contrived, spur-of-the-moment things based on more rumor than fact. And there is evidence for alien life -- they have found microbe fossils of Mars. So yes, life exists or has existed at least on 1 other planet.

I think there's definitely other civilizations somewhere out there.

Why is it that we think any alien civilization would be so stupid as to follow the foolishness we perpetuate on ourselves. I would like to think that being alien means that they would be different than us and so have a completely different set of problems and solutions. Also could it be that we have not been contacted because they are watching our present political situation and laughing their asses off. Assuming they have asses. It could be that there is no way to get past the speed of light. They are further away than 50 light years. We are not interesting enough or intelligent enough for the effort. We do not have anything worth the effort.

Astalervista baby

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:110453
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.