Agnostic.com

37 4

What is your best argument against Christianity

I believe the infallibility of the bible is usually my best. The immorality of so much of it goes against all I know to be true...

River-david 5 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments (26 - 37)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As a person raised as Jewish, Christianity always kind of baffled me. There were fun things my friends did, like have a Christmas tree and hunt for Easter eggs, but generally, it didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It was like any other religion: some good things at the beginning that got convoluted by the interpretation. I mean, who would disagree with the Golden Rule? No one in any religion, apparently. But then you get knife-cut thin meanings told by those with louder voices who tell you who exactly is meant by "others," and what is meant by what you have them do to you. I have met fundamentalists who believe that they are telling me "good news" when they preach at me, and they would want that to be done to them. Wrong, wrong, WRONG! It is the practice of religions that do the misinterpreting, and the moral bankruptcy of those who believe that only they are right creeps in to make religion anathema.

Slix92 Level 3 June 21, 2018

Christianity

t1nick Level 8 June 19, 2018

That it's a learned behavior just like not peeing you pants. I didn't learn it since no one taught me and I'm still doing pretty alright.

GwenC Level 7 June 19, 2018

Question one: would you worship any good, even a blatantly evil one, if it demonstrated that it was real, all powerful, and the only god.

If the ask for clarification, explain that Zeus was a mass murdering, rapist, into beastiality. If Zeus was the true living God would you worship him?

If they say yes... Refer to my next post.

If the say no, make them an offer. Tell them you will go with them to church ever Sunday for a month, and put 2% in the plate/box, if they can do win a small game.

We are going to assume the Bible is %historicaly accurate and reflective of God's will. In exchange they must prove God is good, basid only on the actions he takes in the book. Saying he is good doesn't prove he's good. No deferring to a later plan unless it pays out in the book.

Simply put... It can't be done. Their God is below their ethical standards.

Part two.

If they would worship Zeus if they had proof of him, you have two options.

One: attack the evidence for the Bible... This is gonna be . Not because the otherside has facts on their side, but because you most likely won't have proof on hand. So too the Christian it's tour word vs God's... Your gonna loose that fight.

Two: convince them that worshipping a omnipotent being just because it is one is no different than saying might equals right. Explain most knowen omnipotent beings would kill them and their families sight unseen. Once you get them on board with the idea that a Good should be worthy of worship, return to the previous post.

Any form of thought control is dangerous.

The size of the universe.

It has had over 2,000 years to make its case, yet even by the most vague standard (cultural identification) has only convinced 1/3 of the world population; by 2070 or sooner, Islam will in fact surpass it in numbers.

It's even worse for an evangelical. On a worldwide basis only 17% of those cultural Christians are evangelicals, or about 5.6% of the world population.

Not that pure numbers = truth but numbers that awful are pretty lame considering the extravagant claims being made for the belief-system.

It's kind of like what I say to charismatics / pentecostals, if god does miracles then go empty a children's cancer ward and get back to me.

If Christianity has significant benefits then aren't they lined up around the block to get into your churches and aren't Islam and Judaism, not to mention Hinduism and Buddhism and Taoism and so forth, dying on the vine?

Two. Thousand. Years. And yet ... here we are.

Evangelicals tend to claim that they are this tattered but noble remnant holding the fort down against tremendous odds but expect to have the victory in the end. In other words what success looks like to an evangelical is the grim but avid satisfaction of seeing at least 94.4% of the humans currently alive, and an even higher percentage of those who have ever lived, burn in hell for not being evangelicals. How pathetic is that?

Some "plan of salvation"!

I tell them (the Christians) they got me. Read the book and it left me confused, pretty much from the beginning. I mean, so God created Adam, the first human, and from Adam's rib, Eve. Together, they had Caan, Abel and a host of other children who apparently don't warrant mention. Caan and Abel have bucket loads of kids (obvioiusly not together), but with women that were, what, never created?! Then this woman, Lilith, enters the scene, but she's a woman and a temptress, and so doesn't get much air time in the story. I can't get my head around any of this, but should accept it and reject Zeus because the notion of a god who goes around impregnating women by raining on them or turning into a beast and knocking them up is absurd. And this book forms the bedrock of your guiding principles? Thank you, but no.

should I need an argument against christianity?

It has nothing to do with morality and all kinds of atrocities are legitimized through it.

Salvation is by faith not deeds. According to Christianity John Gotti is in heaven and Gandhi and Einstein are in hell.

There are SO many good arguments that disprove theistic claims. I compiled at least ten of my own apriori arguments, would you like to read them?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:110699
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.