Agnostic.com

20 2

Atheist funeral?

Has anyone been to a funeral of someone who was atheist and if so what was it like? I have only been to funerals of religious people and I do not want anything like that at mine.

Alliegirl 7 Oct 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When my older brother passed away, we held an atheist memorial service in a community center for him. We came together, ate a large meal, and everyone took turns standing up and sharing stories, poetry, and songs that made them think of my brother. It was very touching, and much more intimate than a church or graveside funeral.

I imagine I've been to the funeral of a non-theist, but I'm not entirely sure. I think there's often still a religious aspect because close family insists on it. My wishes, not that I'll be around to care once I'm a corpse, are to have no calling hours, no funeral, no ceremony of any sort, and that my body be cremated and the ashes placed in a large mayonnaise jar, to be dumped in the trash as soon as is convenient. If people want to gather for a party in my memory, that's fine, just so long as nobody goes to any unnecessary expense on my account.

When my father passed away he was cremated and three months later we had a celebration of life for him. It gave everyone a chance to arrange schedules to be there. We told stories about him and had a great BBQ and had a great time. No religion, no priest , just people that he knew and loved. I have been to many funerals in my years( military retiree) and this was the most comfortable and respectful one I have ever attended.

My Best Shoes and My Music Playing... all present dance for me. I will write My Funeral Song. Nothing Else I Desire.

My dad was religious (and I was at the time of his death) but we did a celebration of life styled funeral. He was in a rock band so we played some of his favorite rock music then I read a Eulogy to my dad.

I kind of want mine to be a crazy party people have fun at, but that might be because I'm just 21 🙂 I would love to hear the experiences of others!

My parents did not have a religious funeral except that we played "Amazing Grace" on bagpipes for my Mom, She loved bagpipes and that song. Her name was Grace.

We have purchased Bio urns, and my hubby and I will both be cremated and "become a tree"! Neither of us want a funeral.

First of all let me say for my funeral I will be beyond caring what goes on. Funerals are for the living to deal with the death of someone they cared about I have been to atheist, agnostic and religious ones they are all the same and for the same purpose, to celebrate the life of the dead person.

I've told my family to have my body cremated.Then maybe have a get together for family and friends with food,booze and music afterwards. Maybe display some of my artwork and photographs there too.

I actually had that in my will...to have me cremated and then have a party. I just recently changed it to "green burial." Why? Of all things, I heard Neil Degrasse Tyson talk about returning our body's energy (you know...our tissues and fluids) to the earth to be used by the plants and worms that feed other life (as opposed to that energy just producing heat when it is burned). That sounded reasonable to me.

I prefer not to have anything religious at mine but really... I won't be there, so who cares. If it helps those I love to grieve and let go, so be it.

Only if there is going to be coffee and cake.

I am a third generation atheist. When family members have died we have held a remembrance of the person. We come together and share memories. Photos are brought out. We provide support and love for each other as miss the person. That is it.

That sounds perfect!.

Many New Thought Churches do this all the time, celebration of life with an emphasis on the person, not religious doctrine or scripture. It's the best!

I've never heard of a New Thought Church. I will look into that. Thank you for the information.

I haven’t, but the comments here are experiences I’ll learn and get ideas from. Thanks for the question 🙂

When I die, and I WILL die, I've asked some close friends to take my corpse and throw me in the landfill. So far everyone has refused this simple request. They claim something about the law and health regulations.

Do the next best thing.. become a tree! [urnabios.com]

I've been to some celebrations of life. I prefer those, as the people who speak tend to be more honest and personal in their messages. Nothing ruins an important moment for me faster than the invocation of some kind of god.

Regardless of the type of event, there will always (every one I've attended) be someone who is compelled to make it about their god or whatever religious motive they have. Ugh.

That is what I am afraid of.

I haven't, but have spoken about what my wishes are when I die. I tell my friends and family to take some of my insurance money and have one hell of a party! Celebrate my life, celebrate the joyous memories, laugh about the stupid things, and bitch about my failings. I want to have any of the following done to my body once dead;
1 - I want to be given to the 'body farm' in VA (I think) where they put bodies out in the woods in different scenarios to learn more about decomposition of the body to help with solving murders.
2 - Burn me!!! (a little funny since I don't believe in god so I'm going to go to hell anyway LMAO)
3 - Donate my body to science

Thank you. After I typed this I did some research and discovered that. My daughter thought it was cool and is looking into it with me! Thanks!!!

The only one I was at, the family hi-jacked the whole thing and made it about Jebus anyway. Even though we all knew she didn't want that. Old habits die hard for a lot of people. Just goes go to show you that we hold funerals not for the dead, but for ourselves.

I have, my Great uncle was cremated, at the crematorium there was a service by a celebrant. and involved loved ones talking about his life and how much he would be missed. (the use of celebrants is common in australia)

We have a secular celebrant in our group and she does marriages, baby namings and funerals. I haven't been to one of her events yet but I know her well and she is a humanitarian through and through and very good.

I was recently at the funeral of my best friend's daughter who was 36 years old. Our daughters played together and it just broke my heart and seeing my friend in such terrible pain at the loss was gut wrenching to watch. I felt so frustrated at hearing the Catholic priest talking about god's love and her reward in heaven. I really wanted to scream.

I agree that I don't want that at my funeral so I am preparing a packet for my daughters with my instructions and who to contact should they decide to have a memorial service for the bereaved. They know I am an atheist and I truly hope that they will respect my wishes so I am trying to lay it out for them so there is no question. And, I plan to have my ashes put in a Bio Urn so that my cremains can help grow and nourish a tree. I just love this idea as I've always had a deep affinity for trees. The idea that I could become a part of a tree that would enhance the beauty of the planet and provide oxygen and a home for countless species of critters just delights me. Here's the info in case you are interested: [urnabios.com]

I too am starting to think about this and want to make sure my children know what I want. Thanks for the link. What an awesome idea, I love that.

I loved it too. I saw that idea several years ago and I've been sharing it ever since. I've even heard that there are some "cemeteries" that plant the tree sprouts with a name plate of some kind (perhaps the family pays for this) and that it's a beautiful nature path you can walk through. Now that's where I want to be placed. I don't know, maybe I wasn't raised right (entirely possible) but I have never visited a grave site after the funeral. So why not become part of beautiful wooded park where people may visit and commune with nature and remember their loved ones. This way, it would seem that I could live indefinitely in the form of a tree. How cool is that!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1111
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.