Agnostic.com

11 4

Is consciousness reducible to material processes in the brain?

Mounting evidence from neuroscience suggests that all mental phenomena correlate with material processes in the brain. Yet even if we could map every neuron, the connections among them, and their interactions, we would still have no idea how and why consciousness arises. Philosopher David Chalmers, who has called this the "hard problem" of consciousness, believes science in its current form cannot solve the mystery consciousness. Do you agree?

Lalo 5 June 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think that if science in it's present form could explain consciousness, consciousness would already be explained. Curently the best neurologists have been able to do (so far as I can see) is explain it away as some sort of illusion. These arguments seem pretty flimsy to me.

Yarrow Level 2 June 27, 2018

You're right. See Daniel Dennett.

I seek the answer after every toke!

Consciousness is a mystery. We are all made of energy. When our bodies die, the energy that we created does not go away. Energy can take on different forms and go to other locations, but does not go away. Right now there are many things science can't explain.

SKH78 Level 8 June 20, 2018

There must be an element of energy involved. When someone dies, their consciousness slowly dies too.

The brain contains an information system which generates data that makes assertions about such things as feelings. Science can in principle trace back the entire mechanism by which such data is generated to see what evidence it is based on, at which point it should be able to determine either that the assertions are false or it will uncover the causal mechanism by which actual feelings drive the generation of the data that documents them.

Are we saying that if the brain analyses the feelings to generate a necessary response, those feelings are not generated by the brain, but from some other system which requires the brain to decode and prompt necessary action?

Those feelings are generated by the brain, but the information system side of the brain has to be informed of their existence in some way, and feelings cannot operate within any information system that we understand. We can't write sentient software to run on a conventional computer, for example, and we don't know how to build sentient hardware either, or how to detect the sentience in hardware so that software can respond to it.

No. It's possible that Chalmers is correct, of course, and we won't know he's wrong until we prove him wrong. However ...

It's my view that consciousness correlates, not with physical brain processes precisely, but with emergent properties of those processes and the influence of the neurochemical environment they run on.

Some seemingly mysterious aspects of consciousness don't seem so mysterious once someone figures out an explanatory framework for them. For example, the holy grail of general-purpose or strong artificial intelligence (AI) has been considered by many in the field to be inherently un-doable until Judea Pearl's recent work on "causal calculus" as described in his very approachable book, The Book of Why. He managed to reduce causal relationships (more sophisticated than statistical correlations) to a pretty simple system that anyone with high school algebra and some general understanding of Boolean algebra can work with. Basically just a special case of Boolean networks (itself Pearl's massive contribution to the field of AI as we now now it). If that system proves out (and I believe that it will), strong AI is still the devil in the details, but now we have a conceptual framework to make it happen.

Are emotions reducible to material processes 😉? Everything is reducible to material processes, can humans do it with current technology, I don't know.

No. Without consciousness there is no material world!

Most likely

Marine Level 8 June 20, 2018

Yes, consciousness is reducible to material processes in the brain. The only thing “hard” about the problem is that our language and thought patterns are so point-of-view driven, and we don’t have good conceptual frameworks that are POV neutral. Buddhist language comes closer: a pain occurred, a taste of butter entered, blue spots emerged, etc. Our language is obsessed with the self.

ejbman Level 7 June 20, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:111311
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.