Agnostic.com

13 1

Volunteer Work, pros and cons

Recently one of my volunteer jobs has been impacting on the rest of my life; to the extent that a job I have just got is being neglected a bit.

What do you think about volunteer work and, if you do any, how do you ensure it doesn't impact negatively on things like...making a living!

girlwithsmiles 8 June 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There are a lot of options for volunteering that do not require a commitment like that. The United Way in my area has a volunteer connection on their website and it asks you what works for you before it shows what is available. If you choose Tuesdays only then that is what it will give you. I once volunteered for a senior prom at a nursing home, it was a one time thing and all I had to do was push a wheelchair when the dance was over. There are spring clean up events at almost every park and even once a month board positions as well as seasonal tings like helping at the fair. I would highly recommend finding a volunteer opportunity that puts your needs first, maybe there is a website for needs in your area???

I already have another volunteer job that I really like. The challenging one has been especially challenging as we had so few people on the committee when our main member of staff walked out; it led to a lot of extra work. But now we have more committee members I'm thinking about moving on and concentrating on my, 'fun' volunteer job 🙂 Thank you.

@girlwithsmiles I am so glad to hear that, it should be fun for everyone!

choose your battles

Cons: you don't get paid. Pros: you know your are helping.

Let me be a lire specific. If you are volunteering for a for profit company, don't. They can pay You! A friend of mine volunteers at a food pantry, but he gets free food, so I guess it's not paid work. One volunteer "job" that I don't want to do is CAP (Civil Air Patrol). For those of you that don't know it's an auxilary to the Air Force. First you have to PAY to volunteer! Yes it's a yearly fee. You also have to PAY for your uniform. It's like Boy Scouts for big kids. But I think you only need to be like 12 to join. I know several that are in there. Some walk around with their uniform kind of acting like a soldier. They aren't. They are still civilians. Sometimes you are required to wear the uniform. I don't want to. On a side note that's what I hated about doing security. I've been mistaken for a police officer many times. The uniform wasn't that close to a police officer's. What police officer wears an orange jump suite? Has no pistol? I had one lady came up and said officer I need some help. I said to call the cops. She said I was one. I said no I am not. Lot's of people think OHA (Omaha Housing Authorty) is. I have a P71 (Police car). People think I'm a cop. Main reason why I don't drive it. Draws too much attention. I know I get on tangents, but when am I ever going to talk about this? lol

If volunteer work makes you happy, do it. If it negatively affects your bread money, don't, or do less. No one is forcing you to do it, of for whatever amount of hours.

The one that I am having the issues with is a small club that's run by a committee, I'm have a job on the committee. They are not for profit.

I read recently that you get the most happiness benefit by volunteering 2 hours a week. Seems suspect, plus personal happiness isn't the only reason to volunteer. But I do keep that in mind when choosing commitments.

Lauxa Level 5 June 20, 2018

Thank you, that's amount that I do at my fave volunteer job 🙂 I think the other one will be getting ditched soon.

You have to look after yourself before you can look after anyone else. Personally I have partaken in a lot of voluntary work to try and help others. Once you have the time to spare it is a very worthwhile way to spend your time. However, with the apparent corruption that has eaten many charities from the inside out one can feel like they are a bit foolish to be giving their valuable time on a voluntary basis.

JB4now Level 5 June 20, 2018

My entire career was spent focused on helping people and schools. I had little time or desire to do additional volunteer work. Even today, I do not volunteer for organizations, as a have no desire to be directed by others. I gladly help individuals in my own way.

Mmm, yes after I leave this challenging post I think I'll just stick with my fun volunteer job.

This doesn't affect me at all. I just do what I can.
If is too much for me, I have to leave.
They are very grateful and appreciative.

If it affects any of your life cut back or cut it out. How can you help others if your life isn't being taken care of ? When things get better and you feel you can give a bit extra then start doing it again .

Simon1 Level 7 June 20, 2018

I tend to volunteer only by making items and donating them...it is my own time to do or not. I prefer donating money as I just don't have time now until I quit my day job.

Well everything in this life can have a negative impact on whatever else you have to do or must. It is all up to you to have a balance.

Volunteer to take care of you first. Don't let charity interrupt you. It is your earner. Good Luck and wish you The Very Best of Summer.

Thank you.

I've volunteered for years. I watched my charity squander money. I saw volunteers work like trojans whilst employed staff went for extended lunches. I left and came to the conclusion that charity is the band-aid response for the failings of capitalism.

Charity demands gratitude and perpetuates the problems it is trying to remedy by allowing governments to escape responsibility.

Add to this the inequality existing within many charities, which finds armies of unpaid workers toiling along side tiers of overpaid, fat cat bosses.

Charity is not the answer.

How I agree. Far too many people seem to think organising charities is a career, rather than a vocation.

Yes, I'm not sure I agree with the total futility of charity. But (lazy) management are an issue in paid and unpaid work alike 😟 Many organisations do seem to be top heavy. But there are always some that work hard and have the best interests of the company/ charity at heart too, in my experience.
It's a not for profit organisation that I volunteer for, not a charity, by the way.

It strips the person "receiving help" of their voice and dignity. Hand outs kill people and cause huge divides that are counterproductive to the goal. I did my internship at the Volunteer Connection/United Way and witnessed the same thing you did. Huge amounts of money spent on employee lunches and conferences, meetings...Pissed me right off and changed my way of doing things too. Sure does suck that charity organizations are the least charitable.

Volunteer work HAS TO come second. Tell the organisers that. Many are retired, or simply don't believe that anything could be more important then them. Whatever it is, do not jeopardise your livelihood job.

Petter Level 9 June 20, 2018

Thanks Petter.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:111498
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.