Agnostic.com

5 1

In order to truly advance humanity (even study religion as an evolutionary need) will it be necessary for all humans to accept the scientific method, and any revisions it may require, to unify civilization? In other words; a unified method of reasoning. #revision

Buketoballs43 5 Dec 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When we hear "it is only a theory" , we hear this from those not understanding what the scientific model defines as a theorem Ignorance appears to be the path of least resistance. I agree that a large segment of our population has opted no longer to read.
I find it astonishing how many people do not know of the LHC

EMC2 Level 8 Dec 29, 2017

Yes, Science is merely the method to study something without bias. IN other words , if one truly wishes to find out the truth, then one must remove preconceived thoughts from the equation.
Now if one ONLY seeks a simple comforting answer, then one reads a scripture of some sort

EMC2 Level 8 Dec 29, 2017

As man survived and progressed long before the word 'science' came along there must have long existed a rudimentary method of discovery. So, I believe we are all born scientists but very very often this is repressed by powerful people. What we need is a rebirth of these faculties for the ordinary citizen who will then appreciate that more needs to be spent on refining science. However they are unlikely to vote for more taxpayers money to be spent on science unless they personally get to see how they will benefit from science method applied to their own problems.
So NOT compulsory lessons in science - we have tried that but practical outcomes that will make society work better. Please distinguish the processes of science from the facts and inventions produced by it.

Education is controlled largely by those in power- they tend to educate people enough for them to fufill their requirements, not to think for themselves, it's unlikely those in power will encourage scienitific thinking escepcialy in countries that are ruled by religion.

stu8 Level 4 Dec 29, 2017

You are assuming that humans have long enough for this to happen; unfortunately I believe that most will die in ignorance. The scientific method has been developed for more than 100 years yet the vast majority of civilization has no notion of what it even is, this failure in the spread of this knowledge has created the problem humanity faces and must deal with now; problems that will eventual wipe us from the face of the planet.

Rather a gloomy outlook. Have you never had a good invention, large or small, and felt the thrill of discovery? As a set of processes science can be very uplifting and satisfying.

I agree with you. Unfortunately humankind now has the ability to wipe out most life on earth with nuclear weapons. I think it’s only a matter of time before a religiously motivated nut job is able to obtain a nuclear weapon and detonate it in a large metropolitan area.

@Mcflewster , It is, I have invented a few things but, none that will fix the problems we face nor any that will fix stupid, ignorance or greed.

@JamesRN , I am more concerned that the environmental degradation and climate modification will continue to the point of no return than nuclear inhalation, if that comes it will be the consequence of the former.

I believe fully that Humans will soon cyborg them self with technological advances. We will be a well monitored machine able to entertain our mind. Our memory is enhanced with a data base, our eyes will be able to see,via filters, all wavelength light. As Dr. Kako says we must first reach a level one society

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11268
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.