Agnostic.com

5 2

LINK Ghosts And Demons That Visit You at Night Could Be Explained by Science

There is always a rational explanation...

If you believe in the paranormal you might not be surprised if you hear stories of deceased loved ones appearing during the night, huge explosions heard just as someone is drifting off with no obvious cause, and other peculiar occurrences.
But what if you don't?
My interest in the paranormal started with an impromptu coffee with a colleague, Chris French, who researches reports of paranormal experiences.
He told me stories of countless people who had recounted such events. These experiences tended to start while lying in bed.
Then something unusual would happen – perhaps a demon would appear or the environment would seem strange or there would be a sensed presence.
The person having this experience might also report being glued to their mattress, tarmacked into the bed, totally unable to move.
It's unsurprising that people who experience such things might interpret them as paranormal. But certain phenomena such as sleep paralysis provide an alternative to paranormal explanations for such occurrences.

Hence my interest in the subject, as a sleep researcher.

Lukian 8 June 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was at an apartment complex once and working underneath my car when I heard a voice call out my name. OK, does nobody else have my name? Is the experience really personal just for me?

A friend of mine was worried about his deceased nephew and could not get the man off his mind. In bed one night he was awakened when the nephew came to him and stood at the foot of his bed telling him that he was really OK. Do I really believe this happened or did my friend need to hear this from the nephew?

I've had a number of the symptoms described, as well a voice speaking my name. When these things happen, I'm aware of what they are, but it's still damned weird.

JimG Level 8 June 25, 2018

Awesome article. I have experienced "waking" sleep paralysis and it's really unpleasant. Glad to hear this explanation!

I wasn't honestly sure how to interpret these sensations. I have an aversion to ascribing something supernatural to any phenomena, but it felt so "real".

Yes. I've heard of night terrors. Where something goes wrong in the brain and people are unable to move. It sounds horrible.

It's sad that there are people in the narcolepsy support group I'm in still believe in this nonsense despite knowing what sleep paralysis and hypnogogic hallucinations are.

RRRRRRRRRGH

are you serious?

@Lukian yyyyep. Some of them also think they're clairvoyant or some shit.

@memorylikeasieve dang! Glad I'm not lurking in those groups.

@Lukian well, it's on Facebook, not here. We're spared some drivel, anyway.

@memorylikeasieve oh thanks for clarifying. Phewww!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:113105
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.