Agnostic.com

6 1

When Death becomes optional, what will you choose?

Inventor, scientist, and predictor of many existing developments, Ray Kurzweil claims that a cure for death is closer than we think. If the cure would allow you to live indefinitely with the health and vigor of a twenty year old... would you take it?

skado 9 Dec 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

With the health and vigor of a twenty-year-old? Heck yeah! I've done a lot of research over the years, and now that things are finally starting to make a little sense and coming together, I now find that I've traded in my health and stamina for it! If I could have both... of course!

Donna Level 6 Dec 29, 2017

So those of us past 20, do we get a new 20 yr old body? Tempting.... but I don't think so.LOL

Yes. That’s the premise of my question. Well, not that we get a new body, but that our old body is rejuvenated to the equivalent.

Yes, and that would be great for a while but indefinitely? I don't know @skado, I sort of like the circle of life. Born, live, die, repeat. Do you want to be around indefinitely?

@BeeHappy Yes I do! It's not really a decision between living forever and dying at 80. It's just a matter of having choice. Instead of having no choice, you could decide when was enough. What's so special about 80? How is it better than 75 or 85? If you take the cure, you can choose to die the next day (as you always could) or you could finish a novel, or found a non-profit. At 140 you might say 'I've done everything I ever wanted to' and check out. The only real difference is that the timing is under your control. I just have a hard time thinking that anybody who felt like 20 when they were actually 95 would prefer to be dead than to live to 96.

@skado, I see your point. I guess I get caught up on the details. Is the cure a one-time dosage/procedure or ongoing, if you stop you die? Most places now don't let you end your own life, wouldn't stopping the cure be the same thing? I get bogged down in the details. So, IF I could end my life at any point and providing the "cure" isn't a huge ongoing hassle, then I can see the advantage. Still not 100% there but maybe. 😉

Sound mind and body... Not of a 20 yr old.. but at least my 30's or around that age range..

Body, too?

With mental and physical health intact.

@skado pre replacement parts, pre going south of the horizon, but the mind of a 20 year old? No. Although I'm aiming for one hundred because I'm curious and there's so much out there.

No, you get to keep the content of your mind, your memories and experience; just upgrade your health to that of a permanent 20 year old. @EllenDale

@skado Even by twenty I was working on a knee replacement. But if I were to stop being literal and could have a healthy body for my adulthood, yes. There is still so much out there to learn about. With the rest of the world and space to learn about, why not?

Don't think so....unless my memory was
wiped clean....

Death once I become old or invalid. Who wants to live for eternity?

This is the thing though, it's a HEALTH UPGRADE. Your body would go back to being it's most healthy and vigorous adult stage.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11319
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.