Agnostic.com

28 17

I realized that I was an atheist when I first started learning about mythology, did anyone else have a similar experience?

In third grade, my class studied classic Greek/Roman mythology. Before then, I hadn't given religion any real thought, it was just something I had to put up with on Sundays. But, I was really struck by how society viewed some spiritual beliefs as mere mythology, while others were the one true religion (there are a surprising number of one true religions.) I was stuck at one of those cult-like services one day and though, I might as well pray to Aphrodite (who was my assigned god to research,) was there no good reason she shouldn't exist as well? Did learning about ancient "mythologies" affect anyone else's views on modern day religions?

ErebusVincent 6 Dec 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments (26 - 28)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No. But because of music purpose I read and study a bit of santeria an afro-cuban religion because their use of some of deities in salsa songs. I still do just to make sure oshun is river and yemaye is ocean. Just so my lyrics match "their reality". Outside of that, I continue to be over half a century without religion. Is all Mithos to me.

History and the evolution of religion due to war and marriage.

For me it was Lord of the Rings. I was put into Catholic school until I got kicked out in 5th grade. My dad wasn't a huge fan of me going but had made the deal with my mom, who, it turns out didn't believe either, but hoped that if we latched on, we'd have something to fall back on if life was rough. Anyway, mom gave me a nice bible for my first communion and dad gave me The Hobbit and said when I got done that, he had the trilogy if I was interested. I read the Hobbit/LotR before the bible, so when I got to the bible, I wasn't impressed with god after meeting Gandalf. Gandalf was far more kind a wizard than god. Samwise, the true hero of those books for me, was way cooler than Moses, and again, way more kind. And Aragorn was a way more effective savior than Jesus. Needless to say, this caused friction in Religion class, especially since I got into Catholic school when most of the teachers were former nuns, barely clinging on to their faith themselves in many cases.

Orly Level 5 Jan 6, 2018
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11326
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.