Agnostic.com

14 1

Do you all advertise your Atheism publically? I do - I wear T-Shirts often. Some offensive. How comfortable are you as an "open" atheist or is it frowned upon where you live?

GodlessJay 3 Oct 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I’m open and proud. I wear a pendant every day, black background with a red A, as my scarlet letter. Most people don’t know what it means, some ask and I get all sorts of responses. A few times I’ve been having a friendly conversation with a stranger, they ask about it, and when I answer the look of genuine terror on their face was priceless. I have a couple bumper stickers too. Americans United for separation of church and state, etc.

Just like I don't like hearing other peoples religious feelings, I don't push mine. Live and let live as long as you don't annoy me withyour BS.

While it annoys the heck out of me when people here typically say, "Have a blessed day!" (even on business correspondence), I'm in the bible belt so it's in my best interest not to lead with that information about myself. But I'm glad to share my beliefs if someone is thoughtful enough to inquire.

I'm pretty obvious about mine, though I try not to shove it in people's faces since I hate it when Christians do that.

I am very open about my Atheism. I have pulled back a bit recently due to the increasing discrimination against Atheists. I have also be fired from jobs for being an Atheist.

Dont really publicly talk about it that much, i don't want it to be what people think of when they see me

Is it frowned upon in my city? YES! and that makes me do it all the more. Not so much to piss off the theists but to let the Atheist or non-believers know it's ok to be open about it.
T-Shirts I own:
You pray for me. I'll think for you.
Science doesn't care what you believe.
LOGIC
I'm an ATHEIST! on the back, it say's: Mythology is all things supernatural.
Atheist - Because imaginary friends are for four-year-olds
In Science we Trust
Science flies you to the moon Religion flies you into buildings.
I think therefore I'm Atheist.

I have a ton more but I won't bore you with all of them

No, never. My family is religious. I think they might know that I'm a nonbeliever, but we never talk about it. And, I work in a school in a religious community. I really don't want to be outed. I think the community where I teach would not be kind to me if I were out. Might lose my job.

Not as much as Christians do....and I feel we are all agnostic by definition...no one can prove the existence or non exinstance of god.....so by default we are agnostic....any thoughts????

I don't advertise but neither do I hide it. I'm comfortable being open about it. Many northern europeans are aethist. Southern europeans tend to be Orthodox or Muslim don't necessarily frown on it but they don't like it. It's their culture. It's how they were raised. I don't impose my beliefs on them and neither do they impose their beliefs on me. I see it as open tolerance, live and let live.

SamL Level 7 Oct 9, 2017

I just moved from Phoenix, AZ to the Piedmont Triad in NC - the bible belt. From Democrat to Republican. From liberal to conservative. In AZ it was no big deal because most people could care less about you. But here - different story. I see signs on almost every front yard that say, "Thank you, Jesus!" or "What would you do if Jesus came home today?" (this is funny to me because I've known a few guys named Jesus!!!) Where, although less than when I lived here 18 years ago, saying hello and mentioning Jesus in one sentence is the norm. Where everyone says, "God Bless You!" and I never sneezed! Totally different story. But - because I am who I am, I still am pretty open about it. I tend to want confrontation with them, I'm not entirely sure why. It usually just pisses me off because of their total illogical arguments and their inability to even listen to another point of view - or even acknowledge that there IS another point of view. But then sometimes I just play along with their religious babbling and am very noncommittal and walk away, just not wanting to bother.

I do and proudly

I have a bumper sticker on my car that is a dinosaur eating a jesus fish and where I live it is not popular. I have had it on my car for about a year now and have gotten flipped off about 5 times and yelled at whole driving about the same. But I'm not taking it off! If they can have their jesus fish on their cars why shouldn't I have something that defines my non belief?

cool sticker

It's very frowned upon where I live. I have already had my children treated badly by adults (mostly at school) who know or suspect, so I have to be careful for them.

Zster Level 8 Oct 9, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1134
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.