Agnostic.com

31 1

Should I travel and seek a different reality?

I've lived at the same address thirteen years alone. My mother passed here my dog has passed and I'm so comfortable in this town. I always thought I would like to travel and now I have a new car, education and no bonds. Should I finally try to see something new or do what has kept me safe so long? I feel like life is passing by yet I have good income, credit and able to apply for jobs far away and roam but I stay in the area and home.

Holymoly 4 June 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments (26 - 31)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I really have no reason not to!

Personally, I'd recommend at least doing a little traveling. Maybe short trips that aren't so far from home just to see if you like traveling. I'm in my mid 40's and have rarely had the money to travel and I'll likely regret that I'll probably never visit another country.

And when you're done, you can return to the comfort of home if you want.

Of course go out and travel. You have a comfortable little life. Go out & make it a big one. X

Well, I'm doing exactly that!

I was content in my marriage for many years. We bought a nice house in an exurb of Los Angeles. Then I suffered a divorce. I was depressed for a while, but part of what I did to break out of that was to change jobs to do something I could do anywhere. Now, I'm selling my house and I'm moving to Portland, Oregon. I've got good friends here I'm going to leave behind, but I'm not going to let life pass me by and I've got a few friends up there too. On to the next adventure!

You have your adventures ahead of you too! Maybe it's not Portland, but there are surely places you are interested in, places where there are things you will enjoy doing and new people to do them with and all sorts of new possibilities. Go for it!

“You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment. Fools stand on their island of opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land; there is no other life but this.” ― Henry David Thoreau One must travel advisedly; never do so on a mission to "find yourself," to dispatch present day issues or problems, or to seek a "new reality." Those are "fools errands." On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with wanting to see more of the geography of the planet, the creations of other civilizations, and, most importantly, experience new people, with different perspectives crown out of different cultures. Just remember that no matter where you go, what you see, or who you meet, it will all be your creation. For many it is sufficient to work on the creation one has already made, to expand and attempt to understand oneself by studying that creation. Good luck and enjoy your continuing journey, wherever you may place yourself.

The more I age, the more I discover that life is about embracing and managing risk. That doesn't mean "get stupid and walk off a tall building". It means do the things that challenge your sense of safety even though you can manage the downside. These things are examples;
Travel
Education
Meeting new people
Doing something you have never done before.
Learning a new skill

Being safe is easy. Just wrap yourself in a roll of bubble wrap a 1/4 mile thick and wait for the world to end.

Seems better to go live your life! Seek your bliss! Even if you miscalculate and it ends in disaster, in 100 years, you and the safe guy wind up in the same place anyway.

Live! Enjoy!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:113613
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.